How worried should i be? radioimmunoassay query

• Thread starter studentman
  • Start date
In summary: I-125 labelled insulin as a tracer were discussed and the issue of accidental contamination was brought up. The individual touched their face with a contaminated glove and later checked their face and work station for radiation levels. The demonstrator reassured them that as long as the levels did not increase significantly, there was no cause for concern. However, the individual's panic and depression caused them to worry about potential ingestion of the radioactive material and its effects on their health. The expert suggests that the amounts of I-125 on the glove were likely lower than those used during therapy and that our bodies are equipped to handle these types of dangers. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of I-125 labelled insulin as a tracer and the individual's fears of
studentman
hi guys

just a quick query i am hoping someone can help me with.

i was working on a radioimmunoassay with I-125 labelled insulin as a tracer and accidently touched my face with my contaminated glove.

at the end of the practical I checked my face and the work station with the geiger counter (background radiation being about 5). However the reading on my face was higher than that on the table. It was just above 5 on my face and much lower on the table.

i told the demonstrator but she said don't worry as long as the reading does not shoot up to 10. but i did not tell her i touched my face because i was already panicking so much by then so i just left.

this caused me to fly into a panic and i have been so depressed i ended up in hospital. i have ended up eating and drinking but had not washed my face for days due to a deep depression.

now i am well scared that i may have ingestion some I-125 and it has been on my face so long...it can cause cancer right?

any words of reassurance welcome

thanx in advance guys...is I-125 safer than i think?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you have ended in hospital that means your panic have put you at much higher risk than radioactive iodine. My bet is that amounts you could have on the glove were much lower than amounts used during therapy, where I-125 is routinely administered.

Don't worry, while security measures are necessary to lower the risks, our bodies are quite strong and they have millions of years of evolutionary experience of dealing with dangers.

--
methods

I understand your concern about the potential exposure to I-125. However, I want to assure you that the risk of ingestion from touching your face with a contaminated glove is very low. The amount of I-125 that could have been transferred to your face is likely very small and would not cause any harm.

In addition, the fact that the reading on your face was only slightly higher than the background radiation is a good sign. It indicates that the amount of I-125 on your face is minimal and not at a dangerous level. The demonstrator's advice to not worry unless the reading shoots up to 10 is also a good indication that the levels you were exposed to were not significant.

It is also important to note that I-125, while it can cause cancer in high doses, is used in controlled and safe environments such as in medical procedures. In your case, the exposure was brief and at a low level, so the risk of cancer is extremely low.

I understand that you have been feeling anxious and depressed about this incident, but I want to reassure you that you are not in any immediate danger. Please try not to worry and seek medical advice if your symptoms persist. Take care of yourself and remember that I-125 is not as dangerous as you may think.

What is a radioimmunoassay?

A radioimmunoassay (RIA) is a laboratory technique used to measure the concentration of a specific substance in a biological sample. It involves using a radioactive substance called a tracer and an antibody that binds to the substance of interest to quantify its amount.

How is a radioimmunoassay performed?

In a typical RIA, a known amount of a radioactive tracer is mixed with the biological sample and a specific antibody. The antibody will bind to the target substance, forming a complex. The amount of tracer bound to the complex is then measured, which indirectly determines the concentration of the target substance in the sample.

Is radioimmunoassay safe?

Yes, RIA is considered safe when performed by trained professionals in a controlled laboratory setting. The radioactive tracer used is usually in small amounts and handled with proper safety precautions to minimize exposure.

What are some applications of radioimmunoassay?

RIA is commonly used in clinical settings for diagnosing and monitoring various diseases and conditions. It can also be used in research to measure hormone levels, drug levels, and other substances in biological samples.

How accurate is radioimmunoassay?

RIA is a highly sensitive and specific technique, meaning it can accurately detect and measure even small amounts of the target substance in a sample. However, the accuracy of the results also depends on the quality of the antibody and the technique used in the assay.