How would it feel if your brain ran at half it's current speed?

In summary, reducing the speed of brain impulses artificially would make time seem to flow faster and objects appear to move faster. As the speed of thought approaches zero, objects would seem to approach the speed of light. Increasing brain speed to counteract this effect may result in a lack of sensory perception.
Meatbot
What if the speed of your brain impulses was reduced by half artificially? What would the perceived difference be? What if it was reduced to 10% of current speed? What about .001%?

I think time would seem to be flowing faster for you since you are "checking in" less often, like in time dilation. Would you see movement in a strobelike fashion or would most movement be a blur? Objects would seem to be moving faster in any case. As the speed of thought approaches zero, the apparent speed of all objects would seem to approach the speed of light.

What if you artificially INCREASED the speed of your brain to counteract the time dilation effect, maybe by increasing the conductance of the neurons as you accelerated?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you reduce your brain speed too much you will not be able to "feel" the events of nature anymore (hearing, palate, vision, ...), whose result will be a "blank brain" without neurons connections.

I'd be curious to feel what it's like to run that fast -:)

Yup, yup! At my age, my brain is already running that slow!

1. How would my thought processes be affected if my brain ran at half its current speed?

If your brain ran at half its current speed, you would likely experience difficulties with concentration, memory, and decision-making. Your thoughts may feel slower and more disorganized, making it harder to complete tasks and process information.

2. Would my emotions be impacted if my brain ran at half its current speed?

Yes, your emotions would likely be affected if your brain ran at half its current speed. You may feel more sluggish and have a harder time regulating your emotions, leading to mood swings and potential changes in behavior.

3. Can a person function normally with half brain speed?

It would be difficult for a person to function normally with half brain speed. They may struggle with everyday tasks and have a slower reaction time, making it hard to keep up with the pace of daily life.

4. Are there any long-term effects of having a brain running at half its current speed?

The long-term effects of having a brain running at half its current speed are not fully understood. However, it is likely that prolonged periods of slowed brain function could impact cognitive abilities and overall brain health.

5. Is there a way to intentionally slow down brain function?

There are various methods for intentionally slowing down brain function, such as meditation or certain medications. However, it is not recommended to do so without medical supervision as it can have negative effects on overall brain function and health.