Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would one prove that algebraic topology can never have a non self-

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    contradictory set of abelian groups.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2014 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Any ideas about what? You have to provide some context here!

4. Feb 8, 2014 #3
    What other context are you looking for?

5. Feb 8, 2014 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Well your thread title only says "How would one prove that algebraic topology can never have a non self-" and then stops, while the body of your posts makes some mumblings about a TV show and proof, but never mentions what result you have in mind. So pretty much ANY indication about what question you're really asking would be nice.

6. Feb 8, 2014 #5
    S*** sorry it must've gotten cut off. The title was supposed to read, "How would one prove that algebraic topology can never have a non self-contradictory set of abelian groups."

7. Feb 8, 2014 #6

jgens

Gold Member

Alright this is a step in the right direction. What do you mean self-contradictory set of abelian groups though?

8. Feb 8, 2014 #7
    Well that's the thing. I heard it and I thought that I was complete nonsense because abelian groups are just groups in which the operations are commutative. I don't have a great understanding of topology since I'm only 15, so I thought that my conclusion that it was just bs was due to my lack of understanding. But, I thought that maybe one could make sense out of it on this forum if anywhere.

9. Feb 8, 2014 #8

jgens

Gold Member

Well without further clarification, the question is nonsense as it stands. So hopefully that gives you some peace of mind.

10. Feb 8, 2014 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook