How would you describe a black hole

In summary: I oversimplified what is an incredibly complex topic. If you are an astrophysicist I suggest you read more on the subject. In summary, a black hole is an object with a powerful gravity that prevents light from escaping.
cre8flow
it is such a weird object

mysterious almost spiritual

Astronomy news on Phys.org
would any of you consider a black hole to be opaque

A black hole is a really complicated thing that's not really easy to describe. If I HAD to, I would say that a black hole is an object whose gravity is so strong that light cannot escape.

But instead of listening to my bad oversimplification, I'd read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

Also to your second question, the words 'transparent' and 'opaque' don't really apply here.

i have read it and i am trying to absorb it

but i am not an astrophysicist so i am going to see it in a different way

it is opaque to me in that its an object that is hard to understand-obscure
and possibly dark
the other definitions of opaque probably do not apply but i am not sure
not allowing light to pass through

Well it is not that hard to understand-once you accept certain base axioms.

Opaque and Transparent really don't apply here. Any light that passes through the event horizon (enters the black hole) will never come out, so in that way it is dark.

In actuality, black holes actually radiate light-but it is for complex reasons that I wouldn't worry about until you have grasped the more basic aspects of black holes.

Vorde said:
Well it is not that hard to understand-once you accept certain base axioms.

Opaque and Transparent really don't apply here. Any light that passes through the event horizon (enters the black hole) will never come out, so in that way it is dark.

In actuality, black holes actually radiate light-but it is for complex reasons that I wouldn't worry about until you have grasped the more basic aspects of black holes.

by opaque he means

4. hard to understand; not clear or lucid; obscure: The problem remains opaque despite explanations.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opaque?s=t

:wink:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own weight.

2. How would you describe the size of a black hole?

The size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. The event horizon is usually described in terms of its radius, ranging from a few kilometers to billions of kilometers, depending on the mass of the black hole.

3. Can you see a black hole?

No, we cannot see a black hole directly as they do not emit any light. However, we can detect their presence through the effects of their gravity on surrounding matter and light. This is why we can observe the effects of black holes on their surrounding environment, such as the distortion of light and the emission of X-rays from the accretion disk.

4. Do black holes only exist in outer space?

Yes, black holes only exist in outer space as they are formed from the collapse of massive stars. There is no known way to create a black hole on Earth.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

As mentioned earlier, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. However, some matter and energy can be ejected from a black hole through processes such as Hawking radiation and relativistic jets. These processes occur near the event horizon and do not involve anything escaping from inside the black hole itself.