Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you proove a^-n = 1/a^n?

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    I can't find many proofs of how the equation in the thread title is correct. How would you proove the equation?

I tried to make one, but I don't know if it's worth mentioning. What do you think about my "proof"?

a^-n = a^0-n = (a^0)/(a^n) = 1/a^n
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you assume that a^b a^c = a^(b+c).
  4. Jun 4, 2007 #3
    I'm sorry, could you elaborate a little? Do I assume? Do you assume? What does that equation have to do with this?

You might notice that I'm a beginner.

Edit: Oh, I believe I know what you mean: I did not proove anything, I just wrote something obvious that someone else has figured out? Kind of like not thinking on my own?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  5. Jun 4, 2007 #4
    The problem is this: what does xn mean when n is a negative integer? If you have defined exponentiation in terms of repeated multiplication, then what does it mean to multiply something by itself -3 or 0 times? Once you have defined exponentiation for these (and other) values, there is nothing really to prove.
  6. Jun 4, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You assume that you know what x^2, x^3 means etc. Then you notice that (x^a)^b = x^(ab), and other such rules, that make you realize that it is reasonable to extend thee definition from just the positive whole numbers to all rational numbers via x^{1/n} as the n'th root of x, and x^-n as 1/x^n
  7. Jun 4, 2007 #6
    Because by multiplying both side of the equation by a^m, with m>n, it makes sense.

Doing so on this equation:

a^-n = 1/a^n

leads to

a^(m-n) = a^m/a^n

which makes sense (already) for m>=n .
  8. Jun 4, 2007 #7
    in other words: isomorphism ...
  9. Jun 4, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does isomorphism have to do with anything? :confused:
  10. Jun 4, 2007 #9
    well, summing exponents is similar to making products
    there is an isomorphism between:

- the set of positive numbers equipped with multiplication
    - the set of all numbers equipped with the addition

(sorry for the lose speaking, this is very old for me)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?