1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you rank these graduate schools?

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Hello. I know that ranking is not everything and it really depends on particular research field and professors.
    But I do want to get a rough picture on the overall reputation of these graduate schools at this stage.
    For the field of mechanical engineering or applied mathematics, how would you rank these graduate schools?

UC Berkerley
    UC San Diego
    Northwestern University
    Univerity of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
    University of Michigan
    Brown University
    University of Washington
    Univesrity of Arizona
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

What makes you think the rankings would be the same in mechanical engineering as applied mathematics?
  4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    maybe he wants a ranking for both fields.
  5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    Actually I am applying to both disciplines and I hope people who know these two disciplines well could give me a general impression on how these schools are ranked.
  6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    Not too certain about the specific disciplines. You should check into the information they have online for each degree program at a minimum. College rankings are generally somewhat fallacious...

MIT is MIT.
    Berkerley is Berkley. Although I believe they're stronger in the humanities and such.
    Brown is pretty up there. Again, I think their reputation is more in the humanities.

U of Arizona spams too much. But their traditional campus is fine if you don't mind getting a spamalot logo on your diploma. Nifty physical optics program.

U of Washington is pretty damn solid for a public university. Their programs in medicine and related fields (bio/chem/etc) are what they have the biggest rep for, but they're strong in other engineering & sciences fields as well.

Major factor for graduate school is potential advisers and their research projects / interests. You should be looking at this much more than for rankings. Going to a school that was high ranked in some magazine but where the faculty aren't working on what you're interested in is lol.
  7. Feb 12, 2008 #6
    From what I've heard, MIT would be #1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?