How would you take the limit of this?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
1MileCrash
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
41
I was just thinking about the golden ratio, and how it is a solution to the equation x^2 - x - 1 = 0.

So I wondered what it would be like to make a similar higher degree equation.

x^3 - x^2 - x - 1 = 0

To which the positive solution is 1.84.. is there any significance to this ratio?

I kept adding more terms.

x^4 - x^3 - x^2 - x - 1 = 0
x^5 - x^4 - x^3 - x^2 - x - 1 = 0
Etc.

These solutions, as I add more terms, grow more and more slowly and approach 2. I haven't found it to go past 2.

How can I show that the solution to the equation approaches 2 as the number of terms in the format I've shown grows without bound?

Another weird question from me, but I feel compelled to know the answers to these questions I have. :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rewriting the equation as x^5 - 1 = x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x is always a difference of 1 when x = 2, because X^5 - 1 = x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1. this is true for binary.
 
One can make the problem easier by remembering the partial sum of a geometric series:

[tex]1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}=\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/tex]

Can you do it now??
 
micromass said:
One can make the problem easier by remembering the partial sum of a geometric series:

[tex]1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}=\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/tex]

Can you do it now??
Ahem.
[tex]1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}=\frac{1-x^n}{1-x}[/tex]
 
To formalize what you're getting at:

{x∈R^+ : lim_(n→∞)⁡ (x^n-∑_(k=0)^(n-1) (x^k) )=0}={2} forgive the lack of "real" notation
 
Taking the infinite sum on the left, x= inf sum, you get phi. Did this the other week actually
 
Something interseting useing the sum of powers rules mentioned earlier:

We began with:
xn-xn-1-xn-2-...-x-1 = 0

Rearrange to get:

xn = xn-1+xn-2+...+x+1

Then using sum of consecutive powers:

xn = (1-xn) / (1-x)

xn(x-1) = xn-1

xn+1-xn = xn-1

∴ xn+1-2xn+1 = 0

However this sort of question (to me) sounds a little before it's time as it calls for the ability to solve very high degree polynomials. But what do I know? Answer: "All I know is I know nothing."
 
Last edited: