1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you take the limit of this?

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    I was just thinking about the golden ratio, and how it is a solution to the equation x^2 - x - 1 = 0.

So I wondered what it would be like to make a similar higher degree equation.

x^3 - x^2 - x - 1 = 0

To which the positive solution is 1.84.. is there any significance to this ratio?

I kept adding more terms.

x^4 - x^3 - x^2 - x - 1 = 0
    x^5 - x^4 - x^3 - x^2 - x - 1 = 0
    Etc.

These solutions, as I add more terms, grow more and more slowly and approach 2. I haven't found it to go past 2.

How can I show that the solution to the equation approaches 2 as the number of terms in the format I've shown grows without bound?

Another weird question from me, but I feel compelled to know the answers to these questions I have. :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2
    rewriting the equation as x^5 - 1 = x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x is always a difference of 1 when x = 2, because X^5 - 1 = x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1. this is true for binary.

4. May 21, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

One can make the problem easier by remembering the partial sum of a geometric series:

[tex]1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}=\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/tex]

Can you do it now??

5. May 22, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. May 22, 2012 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahem.
    [tex]1+x+x^2+...+x^{n-1}=\frac{1-x^n}{1-x}[/tex]

7. May 22, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oops :redface:

8. May 22, 2012 #7
    To formalize what you're getting at:

{x∈R^+ : lim_(n→∞)⁡ (x^n-∑_(k=0)^(n-1) (x^k) )=0}={2} forgive the lack of "real" notation

9. May 22, 2012 #8
    Taking the infinite sum on the left, x= inf sum, you get phi. Did this the other week actually

10. May 23, 2012 #9
    Something interseting useing the sum of powers rules mentioned earlier:

We began with:
    xn-xn-1-xn-2-...-x-1 = 0

Rearrange to get:

xn = xn-1+xn-2+...+x+1

Then using sum of consecutive powers:

xn = (1-xn) / (1-x)

xn(x-1) = xn-1

xn+1-xn = xn-1

∴ xn+1-2xn+1 = 0

However this sort of question (to me) sounds a little before it's time as it calls for the ability to solve very high degree polynomials. But what do I know? Answer: "All I know is I know nothing."

Last edited: May 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook