HR-diagram: Describing the sun's life cycle

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarieO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cycle Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
MarieO
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
We are asked to describe the sun's life in 4 different sequences of the HR-diagram. The second one is in main sequence, third one is in the red giant area, and the last one is in the white dwarf area. The first one is the one I cannot understand. I recreated where the numbers are on a new HR-diagram: http://i.imgur.com/H3nqvQA.jpg?1

I know that all stars that have just been born/can be defined as a star, will come to the main sequence. Since they're using hydrogen as a fuel. I also know that a brown dwarf would be far down outside the diagram, and I would assume that the sun was more like a brown dwarf before it eventually became a star. So I don't understand why there is on just ''out there''.. Maybe it's a trick question? My teacher has not asked any trick questions before so I find it a little strange.. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me understand!:smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MarieO said:
We are asked to describe the sun's life in 4 different sequences of the HR-diagram. The second one is in main sequence, third one is in the red giant area, and the last one is in the white dwarf area. The first one is the one I cannot understand. I recreated where the numbers are on a new HR-diagram: http://i.imgur.com/H3nqvQA.jpg?1

I know that all stars that have just been born/can be defined as a star, will come to the main sequence. Since they're using hydrogen as a fuel. I also know that a brown dwarf would be far down outside the diagram, and I would assume that the sun was more like a brown dwarf before it eventually became a star. So I don't understand why there is on just ''out there''.. Maybe it's a trick question? My teacher has not asked any trick questions before so I find it a little strange.. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me understand!:smile:
A brown dwarf never achieves sufficient mass to sustain hydrogen fusion in its core.

OTOH, a star like the sun takes a while to accumulate enough mass to begin fusion reactions in its core. Presumably, this mass accumulation phase is what's occurring during 1-2 on your HR diagram.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MarieO
SteamKing said:
A brown dwarf never achieves sufficient mass to sustain hydrogen fusion in its core.

OTOH, a star like the sun takes a while to accumulate enough mass to begin fusion reactions in its core. Presumably, this mass accumulation phase is what's occurring during 1-2 on your HR diagram.

Okay, thank you! :)