Human rights and the police (misconduct)

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the article states that a police officer in Texas is allowed to confiscate money and valuables from people who have been arrested, even if the money or valuables are not involved in the crime for which the person was arrested. This practice has been criticized by human rights groups for being unfair and abusive.
Sorry! said:
Well idk why a teacher can beat me for talking out of line but a cop can't beat me for shooting at him..

I don't know where you live, but teachers can be arrested in AZ for beating a student. Parents can be arrested for beating their children.

Physics news on Phys.org
WhoWee said:
I can tell you from experience, in suburban Ohio middle schools in the late 1960's and 1970's...it was common practice to bouce "smart mouths" off of walls, lockers, chalk boards, door frames (you get the idea)...drag them into the hall (where everyone could hear) and "paddle" them with special boards...most 4" to 8" wide and up to 48" long, many painted with cute names and graphics, holes drilled for less wind resistance and/or to make a noise, special grips and/or a raw hide wrist band...and often signed by the recipients.

This method of discipline was the norm and parents RARELY objected. And YES...it hurt...only the knucleheads went back for repeats.

I just realized this "paddling" method was also used as an interrogation technique...threaten to strike...ask for a information...strike and wait for a response (after the scream)...repeat...were we subjected to torture?

I remember 1 guy took about 8 swats before he gave up his accomplice...who in turn got about 3 or 4 swats for letting his friend endure a beating.

Sorry! said:
I guess, I think it's sad how whenever I see your posts how cynical you are over a forum lol.

My tolerance for bad posts is low. It comes with being on these forums for a long time. You loose patience when you see posts that are lazy, poorly worded, etc. The "idk" worked against you. I hate slang.

BTW, teachers can't beat you. I have no idea where you are getting your facts from?

WhoWee said:
He attempted to kill an officer standing in the roadwith his vehicle...before he was captured...that is why they beat him.

So ...?

What you are describing is in direct opposition to the rule if Law.

It was Police Rage. The cops were out of control. They jumped in like a pack of animals. There was absolutely NO justification for their behavior. Fired is a good result for the cops. They should be thankful the DA wouldn't bring them up on criminal assault charges. They are lucky he didn't succumb to his injuries. That would be murder.

Besides, what did it accomplish? If he was unconscious what kind of lesson in deterrence is that? If the perp doesn't remember what you did, how is that effective street justice in any event? It was totally senseless. It was the police thinking they were above the Law. They are not.

WhoWee said:
By aiming his speeding vehicle in the direction of an officer...how about reckless endangerment?
Being involved in a high speed car chase will already have landed him with a gazillion counts of reckless endangerment, wouldn't it?

LowlyPion said:
So ...?

What you are describing is in direct opposition to the rule if Law.

It was Police Rage. The cops were out of control. They jumped in like a pack of animals. There was absolutely NO justification for their behavior. Fired is a good result for the cops. They should be thankful the DA wouldn't bring them up on criminal assault charges. They are lucky he didn't succumb to his injuries. That would be murder.

Besides, what did it accomplish? If he was unconscious what kind of lesson in deterrence is that? If the perp doesn't remember what you did, how is that effective street justice in any event? It was totally senseless. It was the police thinking they were above the Law. They are not.

I could care less if they are fired...this is different than the thread case. But the guy that almost ran the officer down needs to pay.

Gokul43201 said:
Being involved in a high speed car chase will already have landed him with a gazillion counts of reckless endangerment, wouldn't it?

You and I both know it rarely works that way. I'll cite OJ again...not a single ticket for running a stop sign.

WhoWee said:
You and I both know it rarely works that way. I'll cite OJ again...not a single ticket for running a stop sign.

Since he was found innocent of the murder in his criminal trial the time he spent in jail would probably count as time served for any crimes in connection to the chase. I have no idea if they actually tallied up the penalties and made any decision regarding this though. It was probably considered pointless and if they did I'm sure Cochran threatened to make any prosecution on the matter an ordeal. The prosecution generally drops lesser crimes to focus on the major ones, especially if they feel certain they will win.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Since he was found innocent of the murder in his criminal trial the time he spent in jail would probably count as time served for any crimes in connection to the chase. I have no idea if they actually tallied up the penalties and made any decision regarding this though. It was probably considered pointless and if they did I'm sure Cochran threatened to make any prosecution on the matter an ordeal. The prosecution generally drops lesser crimes to focus on the major ones, especially if they feel certain they will win.

OJ wasn't driving.

WhoWee said:
OJ wasn't driving.

Looked it up. There was a gun in the car and talk that he was supposedly holding it on the driver.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Looked it up. There was a gun in the car and talk that he was supposedly holding it on the driver.

Again...sounds like OJ kidnapped the driver (?)...no charges for that either.

WhoWee said:

Again, they had a case against him for murder. If you were trying a case for murder would you want to stop and spend a day or two discussing unrelated charges of supposed kidnapping where the victim did not press charges, ect ect.? Generally the DA figures nailing someone for murder is enough so why bother with incidentals.

rootX said:
Yes they all are criminals (if misconducting in the police department is equivalent to committing crime) by law, but I disagree that they all are bad. One type of the guys (I should point out who are humans - I don't know how you see the policemen but IMO they don't have extraordinary abilities.) are risking their lives so that the other type don't go and harm innocents.

They may not be bad people, but they are bad cops. That's why they were fired.

As usual, it only focuses on how the police is wrong.

I don't see anyone defending the actions of the driver. We all agree that his actions were criminal. But I bet I know exactly what we saw here because cops have told about this practice before: It was payback. The feeling is that if some jerk is going to put your life at risk, then you are entitled to some personal retribution. There was also the fear that he had seriously injured another cop. That's why they didnt' even wait to see if he was resisting, which he clearly wasn't. This time they can't argue that he was resisting but it couldn't be seen on camera, as usually happens.

As I said before, police is a profession like every other profession (and they are also being underpaid IMO for taking all the media and public BS). Most agree that is a tough profession.

Most cops do pretty well financially. But that aside, if they violate the law in the course of doing their jobs, then by definition, they are the bad guys.

Last edited:
WhoWee said:

You really need to listen to what Statape is telling you becuase your pointless wrambling serves no purpose. I saw a video which basically said what ape is telling you, but I can't find it anymore. I really wish you'd stop with the Glenn Beck like comments and put more thought behind some of your posts. These one liners are really getting old. You really think the DA has nothing better to do than try OJ for running stop signs along the way? Give us all a break.

Sorry! said:
If I were a cop and someone tried to kill me I know when I caught up to that S-O-B I would beat them too.

Then we can only hope that you never become a cop.

EDIT: After watching the video, lol, it was WAY too extensive. Like why do they need what 10 cops? punching him in the head when clearly he isn't even MOVING.

Indeed!