Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humidity affect Density?

1. Aug 10, 2005 #1
    Hi, as the topic stated, i would like to find out, does the humidity in the air affect the density??
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2005 #2

minger

Science Advisor

I wouldn't see how it couldn't. I would think you would need to do a partial pressures analysis to see the water content (prolly involving a psychometric chart). Then using a ratio of densities of water/air at that temperature to get the overall density.

But this is definately just a guess.

4. Aug 10, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The molar mass of air is almost 29. The molar mass of water is 18. The more 'less dense' gas you have intermixed into the air, the less dense the air. So, yes, humid air is less dense than dry air.

5. Aug 10, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My gut tells me that humid air is more dense than dry air.
    (edit)
    My gut, apparently lies:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wdensity.htm
    "Most people who haven't studied physics or chemistry find it hard to believe that humid air is lighter, or less dense, than dry air."

BobG seems to be right on the money.

6. Aug 10, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's exactly it - diatomic molecules N2 and O2 have approximate molecular masses of 28 and 32 (and air is 78+% N and 21+% O with traces of other gases), which in humid air are displaced by H2O, which has a molecular mass of 18.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?