1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humidity definitions and measurement devices

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    I know there are three definitions of humidity. Absolute , relative and specific. Can you tell me if on a typical commercial device (such as the one i have in a clock i have) that measures humidity as percentage is it the relative humidity that it measures? Can the percentage become greater than 100%?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When measured as a percentage, its a reference to RH - relative humidity its measuring the relative difference between absolute humidity ( actual water content) and the maximum water content that the air can have at a given temperature

not that I have ever seen or heard of

... in non tropical climates, 100% would usually mean its raining. In tropical climates, I have often seen 95 - 100% and still not raining, but ohhhh gosh, the air is just so unbearable and "sticky"
    Air temperature and pressure have a large bearing on this

It never ceases to amaze me how much moisture the air can hold as invisible vapour

Dave

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3
    More precisely, it's the ratio of the water vapor partial pressure in the air to the equilibrium vapor pressure of water at the air temperature.

Chet

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL yup .... didn't want to go too deep :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook