I Condensation as humidity control

• Thread starter Yud
  • Start date

Yud

Summary
Controlling humidity with a simple condensation experiment.
Context:
Small living room,
Moderate amount of humidity if the room doesn't get ventilation but is cold outside.

Question:

If I use some object that can stay in a cold temperature enough to cause condensation (like having a cold beer sitting for a while) and remove the condensed liquid every a few minutes, would this work as a dehumidifier of sorts, reducing humidity on the room is set on?

If this does make sense I would love to do this as a fun house experiment and I wonder, how could I measure humidity in the room?

Thank you for reading this, I'm open to any recommendations and I can do some engineering level math and physics calculus if needed. Also, if this post doesn't belong in this section please let me know where to move it.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary: Controlling humidity with a simple condensation experiment.

If I use some object that can stay in a cold temperature enough to cause condensation (like having a cold beer sitting for a while) and remove the condensed liquid every a few minutes, would this work as a dehumidifier of sorts, reducing humidity on the room is set on?
That's basically what a commercial dehumidifier does

Yud

Oh perfect! Thank you!

So I can follow dehumidifier blueprints to create something similar and I just need to learn how to measure humidity in the air.

jrmichler

Science Advisor
Measure humidity in the air with something like this:
Untitled.jpg

Found at Walmart and many other stores for about $15.00 US. Then use a psychrometric chart (search the term) to find the dew point (search that term also).

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh perfect! Thank you!

So I can follow dehumidifier blueprints to create something similar and I just need to learn how to measure humidity in the air.
Dehumidifiers take a fair amount of energy (if you want to make a serious difference) the things you can buy that just sit there with absorbent blocks in them will not shift vast amounts of water. ~To make one, you need a refrigeration unit and fan. I have not come across a DIY version anywhere and I think it may be one of those 'it would be nice if' type projects. Perhaps look for a second hand one - checking that it actually produces water from its drain tube before you part with good money. :smile:

russ_watters

Mentor
Quick clarification: for air compressors they are usually called "driers" and it isn't quite the same as room air dehumidification. Usually they use desiccants. The principle at work is that the moisture carrying capacity of air drops as the pressure increases, so water almost literally gets "squeezed out".