1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hunter diring at a monkey hanging from a vine.

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hunter fires a dartgun with a harmless sedative at a monkey hanging from a vine a distance h vertically above the dartgun and a distance d horizontally away from the dartgun. The hunter aims directly at the monkey and fires with an inital velocity Vo at an angle theta above the x axis. But just as the hunter fires, the monket drops from the vine. Assume zero air resistance. a)find the x and y components of the initial velocity of the dart. b) find the horizontal displacement, Xdart, and vertical displacement, Ymonkey, of the monket after a time t. c) find the horizontal displacement, Xmonkey, and vertical displacement, Ymonkey, of the monkey after a time t. d)find that the condition needed for the dart to hit the monkey is tan theta = h/d e)what can be inferred from (d)?

2. Relevant equations
    The four equations of kinematics for constant acceleration:
    1.) V=Vo+at
    2.) X=1/2(Vo+V)t
    3.) X=Vot+1/2at^2
    4.) lVl^2= lVol^2 +2a times X

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not know how to even start this problem off, I am so confused! I need to have this done by Monday morning so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    What about the equations for projectile motion.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    I added the equations to the original post now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?