Double Pendulum (One pendulum hanging from the other)

In summary: I think this is finally all correct.In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of kinetic and potential energy in terms of the horizontal displacements of two masses connected by light, inelastic strings and confined to motion in a vertical plane. The conversation also touches on rescaling coordinates and the potential energy of the lower mass.
This makes sense, the energy has to go somewhere so it appears in the potential term. But in both defintions of x1 and x2, the kinetic energy is decoupled (or at least decoupled after neglection of small elements) while the potential is only decoupled in one definition. Is there a reason for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are mistaken. If x2 is defined as it was originally, the horizontal displacement from the upper mass, then kinetic energy is not decoupled, you have a product of x1 and x2's derivatives, and the kinetic energy matrix has non-zero non-diagonal elements.

voko said:
I think you are mistaken. If x2 is defined as it was originally, the horizontal displacement from the upper mass, then kinetic energy is not decoupled, you have a product of x1 and x2's derivatives, and the kinetic energy matrix has non-zero non-diagonal elements.

Indeed I was mistaken. Thanks voko, you have been a big help!