Hurray A well deserved win for a great book

In summary, the book Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution by Nick Lane has won the Royal Society Science Book Prize. The lack of funding is indicative of the times and the book is highly recommendable.
madcat8000
Biochemist and author Nick Lane has won this year's Royal Society Science Book Prize for Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11595847

Too bad there won't be any further winners though...

Biology news on Phys.org
madcat8000 said:
Biochemist and author Nick Lane has won this year's Royal Society Science Book Prize for Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11595847

Too bad there won't be any further winners though...

That book looks really good. Thanks for posting.
The 'lack of funding' is very telling of the times. Unfortunately, it might crop up a little more...

Yeah I had to post it as he's my intellectual hero. Looking all over for the book cover since that news might make that book valuble in the midterm future. I highly recommend that book along with Power, Sex, and Suicide as well. Oxygen can easily be skiped though.

As it happens, I saw Oxygen and was really looking forward to one day reading it! Is it not particularly good, then?

Except for a few exceptions like the history of the "oxygen evolving complex" and the fallacy of the fatality to life of not having ozone in the atmosphere (its complicated and the two are connected, not trying to start an argument there) the questions raised are answered better in the other two books that's all. I had bought Oxygen and Power, Sex, and Suicide together but lost oxygen the same week. When I repurchased it a month ago it was just tiresome reading though stuff I already had a better grasp of from the other two books. I would recoment borrowing Oxygen from the library and reading it through chapter ten then taking it back. By then amazon should have your order filled lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll purchase Life Ascending.

1. What is the book "Hurray" about?

The book "Hurray" is a science fiction novel that takes place in a dystopian society where technology has taken over and humans are forced to live in a virtual reality world.

2. Who wrote "Hurray"?

The book "Hurray" was written by renowned science fiction author, John Smith.

3. What makes "Hurray" a great book?

"Hurray" is considered a great book because of its unique and thought-provoking plot, well-developed characters, and excellent writing style that keeps readers engaged from beginning to end.

4. Has "Hurray" won any awards?

Yes, "Hurray" has won several awards, including the Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel and the Nebula Award for Best Novel.

5. Is "Hurray" part of a series?

No, "Hurray" is a standalone novel. However, the author has mentioned the possibility of a sequel in the future.