1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Huygens described light as a wave

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    Ok, so Huygens described light as a wave. So my question is how does his wave theory explain the phenonmenon of dispersion? What happens when a wave of light hits a prism? How does while light split into the different colours os a rainbow?

Also another question I have is about Maxwell's discription of light. The maxwell equations comprised of 4 imporant points:1) number of field lines is proportional to the charge,2) number of field lines leaving an about is 0,3) changing a charge induces a new magnetic field and 4) changing a magnetic field induces a new charge.

my question is what feature of electromagnetic waves do polaroid sunglasses take advantage of? I mean how do polaroid lenses work in terms of electromagnetic waves?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They take advantage of the polarization of the EM wave.

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3
    umm..more explanation please..

5. Dec 1, 2007 #4
  6. Dec 1, 2007 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sorry, I'm not the expert here. I was hoping maybe that you just missed the fact that light does have a polarizing property (its wave is oriented along a particular axis). For a more in-depth explanation, you'll have to wait for the heavy-lifters around here to weigh in.

7. Dec 2, 2007 #6
    umm k thnkz anyway..Anyone else know the answer?

8. Dec 2, 2007 #7

hage567

Homework Helper

Have you tried to research this on your own yet? Look up polarization on your own to see if you can get the answer.

9. Dec 2, 2007 #8
    I did search on the net. Didn't use the word "polarization". Will try that. what about the 1st part of the question?

10. Dec 2, 2007 #9
    hellllooooooo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?