Hybrid protein which is composed of two proteins

In summary, if you have a hybrid protein which is composed of two proteins that are very different from each other, you will be less likely to be able to make the hybrid protein retain the original functions of one of the proteins/either of the proteins because of that.
NeedBioInfo
If you have a hybrid protein which is composed of two proteins that are very different from each other, will you be way less likely to be able to make the hybrid protein retain the original functions of one of the proteins/either of the proteins because of that?

Thanks,
Sorry for bothering you

Biology news on Phys.org
Are you talking about heterodimers, or trying to somehow attach the N-terminal of one protein to the C-terminal end of another? To form a heterodimer, you'd have to start out with two proteins capable of interacting in the first place, and heterodimers do have different functions from homodimers. If you're talking about synthesizing a protein with the beginning of one and the end of another, then the outcome is simply a new protein. The folding pattern (tertiary structure) wouldn't likely be anything like either of the original proteins, so the function would also be different, if it had any function at all.

You really should spend more time reviewing the basics of protein structure and function from a biochemistry textbook.

I wanted to be able to use slime mold proteins/genes to do something...apparently I couldn't do that because they're too different from brain protiens. I was just wondering could I make hybrid proteins (using a brain/slime mold proteins) to do what I wanted to do. Would I even need the slime mold proteins to do what I wanted to do? Could I just use slime mold genes to do what I wanted to do?

Thanks

(It won't let me edit my previous post) If I made a hybrid protein out of a slime mold/brain protein would it definately have a different function than either of the original proteins?

(These questions are in regards to using slime mold genes/proteins in a neuronal cell culture to see if they could- hypothetically- make neurons make connections)

Thanks

NeedBioInfo said:
Would I even need the slime mold proteins to do what I wanted to do? Could I just use slime mold genes to do what I wanted to do?

Thanks
You really need to take a basic biology course to understand the role of genes and proteins much better. Genes encode proteins. You cannot just stick two proteins together and expect them to have any function, let alone retain their original function. Cellular function is far more complex than one gene and one protein.

You can't do what you want to do whether you have the genes or proteins. That's what everyone has been trying to tell you in the numerous threads you've started on this topic.

K never mind I understand that it wouldn't be possible sorry

I would delete the other two posts/other posts but it won't let me edit or delete posts for some reason...but if somebody wants to and can they can delete the other posts I wrote...thanks

1. What is a hybrid protein composed of two proteins?

A hybrid protein is a type of protein that is formed by combining two different proteins together. This can be done by fusing the genes that code for the individual proteins, or by physically linking the two proteins together. The resulting hybrid protein has characteristics and functions that are a combination of the two original proteins.

2. What are some benefits of using hybrid proteins?

Hybrid proteins can have enhanced or unique functions compared to their individual components. They can also be used to study the interactions between different proteins and can potentially have therapeutic applications in medicine.

3. How are hybrid proteins created in the lab?

Hybrid proteins are typically created in the lab by cloning the genes that code for the two individual proteins and then fusing them together using recombinant DNA technology. This results in a single gene that codes for the hybrid protein, which can then be expressed in a host organism.

4. Can any two proteins be combined to create a hybrid protein?

Not all proteins can be successfully combined to create a functional hybrid protein. The two proteins must have compatible structures and functions in order for the hybrid protein to have a stable and functional form. This requires careful selection and testing of the proteins before attempting to combine them.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to working with hybrid proteins?

One challenge in working with hybrid proteins is ensuring that the two proteins are properly fused together and that the resulting hybrid protein is stable and functional. Another limitation is that the process of creating hybrid proteins can be time-consuming and may not always result in a successful product. Additionally, not all hybrid proteins may have the desired properties or functions, making it important to carefully design and test them before use.