Mathematical process for protein folding

Hopper_18
TL;DR Summary
Trying to determine if there is a mathematical process for protein folding that can be done without a computer to create a new protein that’s function would be a combination of multiple real life protein.
Hello, I am currently working on an idea for a possible future masters or PhD in cellular biology, however my idea is currently just a passion project. For it to work, I would need to learn how to predict and make a specific protein to do a specific function, in this instance I need to use it to inhibit the transcription of certain DNA region by finding to different CDK and cycling.

I have been some research into this but have found no website or otherwise study describing how one could go about doing this, without substantial expertise and a super computer. Even then it was comparing it to other already recognized proteins in which the function would be similar.

I was wondering if anyone could explain how one might create a protein to do a specific function in which the desired function would be a combination of multiple proteins in real life? Also is there a way to determine this protein folding mathematically or otherwise without a computer, or is purely computer based?

Thank you for any information that you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
From what little I know of the subject, it seems to be a combinatorial problem.
Yup, I asked Google:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=why+is+protein+folding+hard

This being the first response:
...the protein interacts with surrounding water when folding. So you have more like 30k atoms to simulate

Unless your IQ is in the 5 or 6 digit range and have an eidetic memory, get access to a LARGE computer.

Have Fun!
Tom

Likes BillTre
Tom.G said:
From what little I know of the subject, it seems to be a combinatorial problem.
Yup, I asked Google:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=why+is+protein+folding+hard

This being the first response:
...the protein interacts with surrounding water when folding. So you have more like 30k atoms to simulate

Unless your IQ is in the 5 or 6 digit range and have an eidetic memory, get access to a LARGE computer.

Have Fun!
Tom
Some threads this year on the subject including the Alpha 2 program. I will dig out.

Likes BillTre
Hopper_18 said:
TL;DR Summary: Trying to determine if there is a mathematical process for protein folding that can be done without a computer to create a new protein that’s function would be a combination of multiple real life protein.

Hello, I am currently working on an idea for a possible future masters or PhD in cellular biology, however my idea is currently just a passion project. For it to work, I would need to learn how to predict and make a specific protein to do a specific function, in this instance I need to use it to inhibit the transcription of certain DNA region by finding to different CDK and cycling. I have been some research into this but have found no website or otherwise study describing how one could go about doing this, without substantial expertise and a super computer. Even then it was comparing it to other already recognized proteins in which the function would be similar. I was wondering if anyone could explain how one might create a protein to do a specific function in which the desired function would be a combination of multiple proteins in real life? Also is there a way to determine this protein folding mathematically or otherwise without a computer, or is purely computer based? Thank you for any information that you can provide.
I believe that protein folding is a very hard problem. The hope is that it can be solved by quantum computers, or perhaps artificial intelligence will be good enough.

Likes jim mcnamara and BillTre