Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybridisation in d-block elements

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    Hi, can someone please explain how to find the hybridisation when elements of the d-block are involved? For, example.. What is the hybridisation undergone by Fe in Fe(CN)2??
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2
    when you get into the bonding and hybridization of d-block elements you are getting into crystal field theory, which is a major component of undergraduate inorganic chemistry. The more advanced version of crystal field theory (which takes into account molecular orbital theory) is ligand field theory.
  4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually it would have more to do with the VSEPR theory, you need to apply the standard protocols that are outlined in a standard chemistry text. If you need help with the specifics (specific questions), you can ask them individually here.
  5. Aug 30, 2006 #4
    Well, I got this doubt when I was trying to determine the hybridisation taking place in certain species. Can you help me out with this one? Fe(CN)2?

Thanks for your time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?