Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic scissor lift using syringes

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    I m making a hydraulic lift using syringes (piston and cylinder mechanism). can anyone suggest the combination of syringes for maximum displacement. will the scissor lift work properly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Sam
    You might have to be a bit more specific about your question. For one thing, you haven't mentioned the scale of this thing.
    If I were to build one, on a table-top device, I'd go with 3cc units for the activators and a 50cc to pump them up. That's just me, though; I love overkill.
    For bigger scale, I don't know. From experience having played with these things, I can say for certain that a 50cc used as an actuator can lift over 130 lbs.. (I know because I was the load.)

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    The assembly should be kept in a cube of 300 mm side (excluding input). it should have to lift a platform up to 1.2 m. Weight doesn't matters for me as its a light weight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook