Hydrodynamic drag force density velocity

In summary, A steel sphere with a radius of 15 mm and a density of 8000 kg/m3 is initially given a velocity of 2 m/s in the x direction in a tank of oil with a density of 980 kg/m3. The upward buoyancy force on the sphere is equal to the weight of a volume of oil. The magnitude of the hydrodynamic drag force on the sphere is equal to 1.6 times the magnitude of the sphere's velocity in m/s. The x and y components of the sphere's velocity and coordinates can be determined at t = 0.1 s using equations for mass, volume, and force. The question may require knowledge of separable first order linear equations.
cheff3r

Homework Statement

A steel sphere in a tank of oil is given an initial velocity v = 2i (m/s) at the origin of the coordinate system shown (if you don't trust the attached image it is essenital). The radius of the sphere is 15 mm. The density of the steel is 8000 kg/m3 and the density of the oil is 980 kg/m3. If is the sphere’s volume, the (upward) buoyancy force on the sphere is equal to the weight of a volume of oil. The magnitude of the hydrodynamic drag force D on the sphere as it falls is |D| = 1.6|v| N, where |v| is the magnitude of the sphere’s velocity in m/s.

a) What are the x and y components of the sphere’s velocity at t = 0.1 s?
What are the x and y coordinates of the sphere at t = 0.1 s?

Homework Equations

Mass=Volume * Density
Volume of shere=4/3*Pi*r^3
F=ma
plus any others that i haven't used

First Quesetion it say velocity=2i (m/s) what's with the i is it the ijk vectorso in the x direction?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Volume of shere=4/3*Pi*0.015^3=4.5Pi*10^-6
Mass=V*D=4.5Pi*10^-6*8000=0.036Pi
F=ma=0.036Pi*Second problem here gravity isant going to be 9.81 because its in oil
i was next going to use K.E.=1/2*mv^2

secound way i condsiered was finding mass as above but v=u+at
but yet again i don't know its accelereation

i'm considering the idea that my teacher has expected more assumed knowledge from the students because i don't know what use the hydrodynamic drag force would be used for,
is it the same as normal drag force? if that the case is the question something to do with drag force being proportional to velocity (this is a logical guess is it proportional?)

if you can help me with part a first, i will have another attempt at b

Physics news on Phys.org
okay my teacher has still left this question as a challenge question(which were allowed to get help on), but he has given us a couple hints;

for part a you need to create an euation which will be of type seperable first order linear (which is easy enough for me to understand but my problem is still at the first part how do i create the first question?)

and also he gave us a little diagram which is pretty straight foward to explain, it was of the drag force and initial velocity and weight all separated into its vectors (no numbers given)

1. What is hydrodynamic drag force?

Hydrodynamic drag force is the force that resists the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction between the object's surface and the fluid it is moving through.

2. How is hydrodynamic drag force calculated?

Hydrodynamic drag force is calculated using the equation Fd = 0.5 x ρ x Cd x A x V^2, where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid, Cd is the drag coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and V is the velocity of the object.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and hydrodynamic drag force?

The hydrodynamic drag force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, the drag force also increases.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect hydrodynamic drag force?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the magnitude of the hydrodynamic drag force. As the density increases, the drag force also increases, making it more difficult for the object to move through the fluid.

5. What factors determine the drag coefficient in hydrodynamic drag force?

The drag coefficient is affected by the shape, surface roughness, and orientation of the object moving through the fluid. A streamlined shape, smooth surface, and proper orientation can result in a lower drag coefficient and therefore, less hydrodynamic drag force.