Hydrogen Radial Equation: Recursion Relation & Laguerre Polynomials

In summary, the author is having difficulty finding a derivation of the recursion relation that includes the detail Griffiths goes into.
jayqubee
I'm in the first of 3 courses in quantum mechanics, and we just started chapter 4 of Griffiths. He goes into great detail in most of the solution of the radial equation, except for one part: translating the recursion relation into a form that matches the definition of the Laguerre polynomials. Now I understand the technique that gets all the way to that point, but I have yet to find any derivation that actually shows how that recursion relation is made to match the right form. I spent a while on it but I can't get it quite right. Can anyone show, or point me to a derivation that includes this detail? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
And what definition of Laguerre's polynomials do you use ?

The recursion relation i have is:

cj+1= [itex]\frac{j+L+1-n}{(j+1)(j+2L+2)}[/itex]cj

for principle quantum number n, and orbital quantum number L, where the coefficients terminate after
jmax = n - L - 1

The definition I'm trying to match is the one in Arfken & Weber:

[itex]L^{k}_{N}[/itex] = [itex]\sum^{N}_{j=0}\frac{(-1)^j(N + k)!}{j!(N-j)!(k+j)!}x^j[/itex]

N = jmax = n - L - 1

k = 2L + 1

A number of documents on the web follow Griffiths' treatment, and try to add some explanation, especially at this point. The best one I've found is here.

The problem, as dextercioby says, lies in how you define the Laguerre polynomials. There are three ways you can do it: the DE, the recursion relation, and Rodrigues' formula (which is what Griffiths uses in Eqs. 4.87 and 4.88). Any one of these can be tied to the radial wavefunction for the hydrogen atom. The third is the least useful. :frown: and very difficult to derive from the others. The ref I gave above defines them via the DE and derives the recursion relation from that.

Wow it is so much easier to manipulate the [itex]\upsilon(\rho)[/itex] equation into the associated Laguerre ODE than to use the recursion relation. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the Hydrogen Radial Equation?

The Hydrogen Radial Equation is a mathematical expression used to describe the behavior of the radial component of the wave function in a hydrogen atom. It is a second-order differential equation that takes into account the Coulomb potential between the electron and the nucleus.

2. What is the recursion relation in the Hydrogen Radial Equation?

The recursion relation in the Hydrogen Radial Equation is a mathematical relationship between the coefficients of the Laguerre polynomials used to solve the equation. It allows for the simplification of the equation and makes it easier to solve for the wave function.

3. What is the significance of Laguerre polynomials in the Hydrogen Radial Equation?

Laguerre polynomials are a type of orthogonal polynomials that are used as a basis for the solutions of the Hydrogen Radial Equation. They play a crucial role in determining the energy levels and probability distributions of the electron in a hydrogen atom.

4. How are the Laguerre polynomials related to the energy levels in a hydrogen atom?

The energy levels in a hydrogen atom are determined by the roots of the Laguerre polynomials used in the solution of the Hydrogen Radial Equation. The number of roots corresponds to the number of energy levels, and the values of the roots determine the energy of each level.

5. Can the Hydrogen Radial Equation be applied to other atoms or molecules?

While the Hydrogen Radial Equation is specifically used to describe the behavior of electrons in a hydrogen atom, it can also be applied to other single-electron systems, such as singly ionized helium or the hydrogen-like ions of other elements. However, it cannot be directly applied to more complex atoms or molecules due to the presence of multiple electrons and the resulting interactions between them.