Hyperbola Fermat, Geometric Infinite Sum

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps in the evolution of calculus and a PDF document about the history of mathematics. The individual is trying to solve equations for the areas of (1/ar) and (r/a) but is having trouble with the infinite sum inside the symbols Ʃ. They ask for help in understanding why the final area is not 1/ar or r/a, but 1/a as proven by Fermat. The conversation ends with a possible solution involving simplification.
petroljose
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to understand some steps in the evolution of calculus, and in a .pdf found in the internet I read the document: http://www.ugr.es/~mmartins/old_web/Docencia/Old/Docencia-Matematicas/Historia_de_la_matematica/clase_3-web.pdf , in pags. 14-15. I want to solve the to equations of the two areas (1/ar) and (r/a), but I when I try solving the infinite sum inside the symbols: Ʃ, for example, with the first term for 1/r^k for k=0 equal to 1, I don't reach the same resoult (1/ar). So anybody can help me to understand this, and why lastly the area isn't 1/ar nor r/a, but 1/a as Fermat proved.

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Posible solution

With the formula to sum the infinite terms of a geometric series, I solve as in the figure attached.

Attachments

• sum.jpg
    sum.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 413
Solved:

Only simplifying:( (r-1)/(a*r^2 ) )*(1-1/r) by multiplying the sum 1/(1-1/r) by r so: r/(r-r/r)=r/(r-1) and then:
((r-1)/(a*r^2))*(r/(r-1))=1/ar

What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of geometric curve that is defined by two intersecting branches. It is a conic section, meaning it can be formed by intersecting a cone with a plane.

Who is the mathematician Fermat?

Pierre de Fermat was a French mathematician who lived in the 17th century. He is known for his contributions to various areas of mathematics, including number theory, calculus, and geometry. He is also known for his famous "Last Theorem" which he stated but did not prove.

What is an infinite sum?

An infinite sum is a series that has an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the symbol ∑ and is used to represent the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to calculate the value of functions and solve equations.

How is Fermat's Last Theorem related to the hyperbola?

Fermat's Last Theorem states that there are no positive integer solutions to the equation xn + yn = zn for n > 2. This equation can be represented geometrically as a hyperbola. Fermat's Last Theorem is related to the hyperbola as it deals with the properties and solutions of this type of curve.

What is the significance of the Hyperbola Fermat, Geometric Infinite Sum?

The Hyperbola Fermat, Geometric Infinite Sum is a concept that combines the study of hyperbolas, Fermat's Last Theorem, and infinite sums. It has applications in fields such as number theory, calculus, and geometry, and is an important topic in mathematics that has been studied by many mathematicians throughout history.