Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbola Fermat, Geometric Infinite Sum

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody,

I'm trying to understand some steps in the evolution of calculus, and in a .pdf found in the internet I read the document: http://www.ugr.es/~mmartins/old_web/Docencia/Old/Docencia-Matematicas/Historia_de_la_matematica/clase_3-web.pdf [Broken], in pags. 14-15. I want to solve the to equations of the two areas (1/ar) and (r/a), but I when I try solving the infinite sum inside the symbols: Ʃ, for example, with the first term for 1/r^k for k=0 equal to 1, I don't reach the same resoult (1/ar). So anybody can help me to understand this, and why lastly the area isn't 1/ar nor r/a, but 1/a as Fermat proved.

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2
  4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Posible solution

With the formula to sum the infinite terms of a geometric series, I solve as in the figure attached.

Attached Files:

• sum.jpg
      sum.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Aug 8, 2013 #4
    Solved:

Only simplifying:( (r-1)/(a*r^2 ) )*(1-1/r) by multiplying the sum 1/(1-1/r) by r so: r/(r-r/r)=r/(r-1) and then:
    ((r-1)/(a*r^2))*(r/(r-1))=1/ar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook