1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic Circle <=> Euclidean Circle.

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I have this question which is rather simple, basically reiterating a general theorem.

Show that S={z in H||z-i|=3/5} is a hyperbolic circle S={w in H| p(w,w0)=r}
    for r>0 and find sinh(r/2) and w0.

Now to show that it's hyperbolic is the easy task, I just want to see if I got my calculations correct for sh(r/2) and w0.

Now it's best to move to the unit disk model of poincare by: f(z)=(z-i)/(z+i) because this is an isometry it keeps the same lengths here.
    (D={z in C| |z|<1} so f(S)={u in D||f(z)-f(i)|=|(u-0)|=3/5} so it's a unit eulidean circle around zero, now we have the following relationship between this radius and the hyperbolic radius r=log((1+3/5)/(1-3/5))=2log(2) and sh(r/2)=3/4 and to get back w0 we need to use the fact that f(w0)=(w0-i)/(w0+i)=0 thus w0=i.
    Is this approach valid?

thanks in advance.
    btw, there's a great book from jim anderson from southhampton university on hyperbolic geometry.
    In case someone wants a recommendation (for those who want to learn the subject via models and not by the axiomatic method).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook