Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic geometry - relations between lines, curves, and hyperbolas

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    Hi.

I studied calculus a while back but am far from a math god. I have been reading around online about hyperbolic geometry in my spare time and had a simple question about the topic.

If a straight line in Euclidean geometry is a hyperbola in the hyperbolic plane (do I have that right?) then what is the "transformation" from one to the other? For example, the line y=x in the Cartesian coordinate system would be what in the hyperbolic plane? That is, what hyperbola corresponds to y=x? Can the two be related?

The ultimate reason I am interested in knowing specifically how to go from one to the other is because I am curious as to how the hyperbolic rational expression of the form

[itex]f(x)=\frac{ax}{b+cx}[/itex]​

would be expressed in non-Euclidean terms and what straight line in Euclidean geometry would lead to such a hyperbola in non-Euclidean geometry.

If any of that is nonsense, I apologize. I don't know much about the subject but am willing to learn.

Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am not sure what you are talking about. A "straight line in Euclidean geometry" isn't in the "hyperbolic plane" and so does not correspond to any thing there. You probably are talking about a "model" for the hyperbolic plane in the Euclidean plane such as the "Klein model", the "disc model" or the "half plane" model. But what a straight line represents in such a model depends upon which model you are refering to and, depending on the model, exactly which straight line. For example, any Euclidean straight line in the Klein model represents a hyperbolic straight line while only a straight line perpendicular to the boundary in the half plane model represents a straight line in hyperbolic geometry

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Yeah. I'm sure my original post had plenty of flaws. I guess all I meant was, how would the function I mentioned be represented in non-Euclidean coordinates? You mentioned several "models" and I do not know enough about them to know which would be best suited for such. Hence seeking help from experts on such subjects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook