1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic space game: math help

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    I don't fully understand hyperbolic space. I saw a numberphile video about it. I thought It would a cool idea to make a video game based around hyperbolic space. I was going make it in html5/css/javascript. I know I need to learn a lot of math.

I was going to render the hyperbolic objects in a Poincaré disk. how do I convert the hyperbolic coordinates to the Poincaré disk for the graphics? I want know how to do this before anything else. I need the algorithm to do this and maybe the explanation as to why it works.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    For some reason this is really hard to explain to the internet. I'm going to render the game in a Poincaré disk. How do I convert the hyperbolic coordinates so I can render it them on the Poincaré disk? what's the equation/algorithm to do that?

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

See link.

But it sounds like you don't have a clear idea of what the game is supposed to be or you are unwilling to tell anyone.
    I don't think we can help you beyond the link and to suggest you do one of the online courses in hyperbolic geometry.

6. Jun 13, 2015 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook