Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic space game: math help

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    I don't fully understand hyperbolic space. I saw a numberphile video about it. I thought It would a cool idea to make a video game based around hyperbolic space. I was going make it in html5/css/javascript. I know I need to learn a lot of math.

I was going to render the hyperbolic objects in a Poincaré disk. how do I convert the hyperbolic coordinates to the Poincaré disk for the graphics? I want know how to do this before anything else. I need the algorithm to do this and maybe the explanation as to why it works.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    For some reason this is really hard to explain to the internet. I'm going to render the game in a Poincaré disk. How do I convert the hyperbolic coordinates so I can render it them on the Poincaré disk? what's the equation/algorithm to do that?

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

See link.

But it sounds like you don't have a clear idea of what the game is supposed to be or you are unwilling to tell anyone.
    I don't think we can help you beyond the link and to suggest you do one of the online courses in hyperbolic geometry.

6. Jun 13, 2015 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook