Hypothesis test for the difference of the difference of means?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CaptainP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difference Means Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
CaptainP
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

Consider 3 different samples. Each sample is independent.

1: 23, 25, 21, 22, 21, 22, 20, 23, 19, 22, 19, 21
2: 28, 27, 27, 29, 26, 29, 27, 30, 28, 27, 26, 29
3: 23, 20, 25, 21, 22, 23, 21, 20, 19, 20, 22, 21

I am being asked to test whether μ2 - μ1 = μ3 - μ2 with 99% confidence. How am I meant to perform this test? I know how to test for the difference of means, that's quite simple, but how does one test for the difference of differences?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ANOVA tests whether the means of all samples are the same, so in this case an ANOVA test would test whether μ1 = μ2 = μ3. I need something rather different, testing whether the differences between specific pairs are equal.