Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypothesis test on ordinal data

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    Can i use the same the techniques used for nominal data on the ordinal data. I cant seem to find help on hypothesis test for ordinal data. This question contains categories (customer satisfaction) and they are in order so the data must be ordinal but they havent taught us how to conduct a test on the ordinal data.

btw why isnt there any info on conducting a test on ordinal data anywhere. Not even google can find anything. Is it even possible to conduct an inference on nominal data.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    Thank you for replying(much sooner than i expected :)

I am familiar with chi distribution but i dont think it would work here since the population std. deviation and other attributes are unkown and because the data is ordinal i cant use basic techniques to figure them out either. All i have is the sample size which is 700 customers and their satisfaction rating with the company

1 = highly satisfied
    2 = satisfied
    3 = neutral
    4 = dissatisfied
    5 = highly dissatisfied

I will make another post right after this to elaborate further.
  5. Nov 2, 2007 #4
    I could do proportions and use test statistic for proportions but the neutral category causes problem because that splits the customer base into categories.

6. Nov 2, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could use binary variables:

Is the customer highly satisfied?
    Is the customer at least satisfied?
    Is the customer at least neutral?
    Is the customer at least dissatisfied?
  7. Nov 2, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it would; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson's_chi-square_test

You can also define binary "dummy" variables as CRGreathouse has suggested and test them individually or jointly.
  8. Nov 5, 2007 #7
    i got it figured out. Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.:smile:
  9. Nov 8, 2007 #8

this may sound weird but i have the same question well it seems the same.. and im stuck im just wondering how you did it? did u use the population proportion?
  10. Nov 8, 2007 #9
    Yes, i used proportions. You can change the code for success from 1,2,3,4,5 but the one you are really interested in is the "highly satisfied" or 1. I did a one tail test since the company wants to know where its is meeting the required 95% level. To get you started

H0: u=95%
    H1: U<95%

Good Luck
  11. Nov 8, 2007 #10
    satisfaction question

so would you recommend using the t-test, since the std. dev. is unknown? also, wat would the null and alternative hypotheses be? thx a lot!
  12. Nov 12, 2007 #11
    The null and alternative hypothesis are mentioned in my above post. You cant use the t-test. All you are allowed to do on data in count the occurences. Use proportions. Post here if you need more help.

13. May 15, 2010 #12

I was wondering if u could post how u did that question.

I'm having the same problem and i still cant figure it out :(

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?