Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators (-i)^4 = Domain Error?

Tags:
  1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    I'm curious if anyone knows why my calculator would return "Domain Error" when calculating (-i)^4 on my TI-36X Pro?

((-i)^2)^2 works just fine on the machine, and (-i)^4 works just fine on my TI-83 Plus.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The only thing I can think of is that the calculator might be using logs to calculate the value. The following is an identity for real x > 0.

xn = (eln(x))4 = e4ln(x).

It's possible that it is programmed to be able to calculate i2 and (-i)2, but for other powers it uses a different algorithm

Consult your user manual - it might have some information about the domains of the functions it can calculate. I'm sur they have a web site, and they might have a site where you can ask questions about the specific models.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you, Mark. I apologize for not recognizing your post sooner! I checked my user manual and it only says that it cannot compute i to a power greater than 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook