I am back on intro physics forum Question on springs

In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics problem involving a spring pushing an object up a ramp. There was confusion about the final distance of the object from the equilibrium point, as well as the correct integral to use to find the work done by the spring. It was determined that the spring stops exerting a force on the object when it reaches the top of the ramp, and the correct limits for the integral would be from -4 to 0. There was also discussion about the possibility of the spring being attached to the object and reaching a certain height, but it was decided to keep the problem simple.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

It feels good to be back after spending a month in the calculus and beyond section.

Here is my question

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3883/unleduh.jpg

Imagine a spring was pushed back by some distance [tex]x_0[/tex] and then it ends up at some distance 5m up the ramp where the dashed line, the equilibrium point is at at the top of the ramp.

Now my question is, what is x? The final distance from the equilibrium point to 5m?

My concern is that is the x in F = -kx the distance or the [tex]5cos\phi[/tex] distance because of [tex]\vec{F} \cdot \vec{dx}[/tex]?

What if I want to find work done by spring? Let's say [tex]x_0 = -4m[/tex] from the equilibrium point.

Is it

[tex]\int_{x_0 = -4}^{x = 5m} \vec{F_s} \cdot \vec{dx}[/tex] or
[tex]\int_{x_0 = -4}^{x = 5cos\phi\;m} \vec{F_s} \cdot \vec{dx}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused by the question and drawing. It appears that some object is 5m up the ramp and the spring is on the horizontal surface with its unstretched length at the dotted line, the bottom of the ramp. Where is x[itex]_{o}[/itex] on your drawing? Is the spring compressed and released to send the object 5m up the ramp?

X0 isn't on the picture, it doesn't matter where x0 is in the piccture. It was compressed and released and the object ended up 5m up the ramp

and then it ends up at some distance 5m up the ramp where the dashed line, the equilibrium point is at at the top of the ramp.

Now my question is, what is x? The final distance from the equilibrium point to 5m?

Ok, sounds good. Now, you need to find the distance, x, from the 5m point to where? the dotted line, the top of the ramp, the bottom of the ramp?

5m up the ramp, the equilibrium point is just before you hit the ramp

If you want to find the work the spring does on the object, I would look at work and energy. Think about how work relates to energy, specifically elastic potential, kinetic, and gravitational potential energies.

What if I want to find work done by spring? Let's say x0=−4m from the equilibrium point.

Is it

∫x=5mx0=−4Fs⃗⋅dx⃗ or
∫x=5cosϕmx0=−4Fs⃗⋅dx⃗

If you want to find the work done by the spring, you set up the right integral, but with the wrong limits. If the spring is compressed to -4m, with 0 being the unstretched position of the spring, then the integral should have limits from -4 to 0.

No I am talking about the 5m. The block ended up 5m up the ramp. So my x_final going to be just x_final = 5 or x_final = 5cos(theta)

In the integral for the definition of work the limits are the initial and final position of the object through which the force in question is doing work. So where does the spring begin doing work and where does it stop doing work? Hint: the spring stops "pushing" the object at a certain point and the object "coasts" from then on.

Maybe i am totally misunderstanding what you are asking

My concern is that is the x in F = -kx the distance or the 5cosϕ distance because of F⃗⋅dx⃗?

=The x in F=-kx is actually a [itex]\Delta[/itex]x, the correct equation is F=-k[itex]\Delta[/itex]x, which is the difference between the current length of the spring and the equilibrium length.

What if I want to find work done by spring? Let's say x0=−4m from the equilibrium point.

Is it

∫x=5mx0=−4Fs⃗⋅dx⃗ or
∫x=5cosϕmx0=−4Fs⃗⋅dx⃗

Then, if you wanted to set up the integral, yes, it would be [itex]\int[/itex]F[itex]_{s}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]dx. But, the limits are incorrect in both cases because the spring does not continue exerting a force on the object while it moves up the ramp.

What is the correct answer then?

flyingpig said:
What is the correct answer then?

[itex]\Delta x = 4m[/itex].
For the integral limits, see post #8. I think it's correct.

P.S.: we have almost the same number of posts :D

fluidistic said:
[itex]\Delta x = 4m[/itex].
For the integral limits, see post #8. I think it's correct.

P.S.: we have almost the same number of posts :D

But post #8 doesn't have the integral...

Oh please I will beat your post count soon

The limits are -4 (lower) and 0 (upper). Because as soon as the mass reaches x=0 it detaches from the spring and the mass goes over the ramp without being attached to the spring. So the spring exert a force on the mass from [itex]x_0=-4m[/itex] up to [itex]x=0m[/itex].

If you want you can complicate a bit the problem and assume the mass keeps attached to the spring and it reaches an height h above the ground. You could task yourself to calculate the spring constant...
Well let's keep simple, unless you have finished all your homework and still want more :biggrin:.

fluidistic said:
The limits are -4 (lower) and 0 (upper). Because as soon as the mass reaches x=0 it detaches from the spring and the mass goes over the ramp without being attached to the spring. So the spring exert a force on the mass from [itex]x_0=-4m[/itex] up to [itex]x=0m[/itex].

If you want you can complicate a bit the problem and assume the mass keeps attached to the spring and it reaches an height h above the ground. You could task yourself to calculate the spring constant...
Well let's keep simple, unless you have finished all your homework and still want more :biggrin:.

OKay okay okay okay, what if the spring goes all the way up to the ramp? How do we now the spring releases it at x = 0? What happened to inertia?

flyingpig said:
OKay okay okay okay, what if the spring goes all the way up to the ramp? How do we now the spring releases it at x = 0? What happened to inertia?
The spring will have inertia if you consider it has a mass. In this problem it is assumed the spring is mass-less.
I do not "know" whether the spring goes all the way up to the ramp. I assumed the action of the spring here was just to push the mass, without being attached to it. Notice that it cannot push forward on the mass even without the ramp once the mass passes the equilibrium position of the spring. I think my assumption seems reasonable considering the difficulty of the problem.
If you consider the mass that's being attached to the spring then the problem is more complicated. Your "x" which should be in fact "[itex]\Delta x[/itex]" would be the total distance the mass "slides without friction" (sorry I don't know the name in English) over the ground. But in that case [itex]\vec F \cdot d\vec x[/itex] isn't worth simply Fdx. The angle between [itex]\vec F[/itex] and [itex]d\vec x[/itex] would be a function of time and this is where the difficulty lies to me. I personally find this problem interesting and if I have time I'd love to try to solve it (maybe using the Lagrangian) but I don't think it's that easy. If you're interested, ask help for it... I'm personally busy with another course for now.
By the way I'm glad you posted here to understand more this problem. If I haven't been clear, ask for further help, I'll let others answer better than me. I hope I didn't mess up anywhere.

1. What is a spring?

A spring is an elastic object that stores mechanical energy when stretched or compressed. It is typically made of coiled metal and can be found in various forms, such as a coil spring, leaf spring, or torsion spring.

2. How does a spring work?

A spring works by exerting a restoring force when it is stretched or compressed. This is due to Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.

3. What are the properties of a spring?

The properties of a spring include its stiffness, or spring constant, which determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring. It also has a natural length, or equilibrium position, where there is no force acting on the spring.

4. How is a spring used in physics?

Springs are commonly used in physics experiments to study the principles of elasticity and Hooke's law. They are also used in various mechanical systems, such as shock absorbers and suspension systems.

5. What factors affect the behavior of a spring?

The behavior of a spring can be affected by several factors, including its material, diameter, and length. The number of coils and the direction of the coil can also impact its behavior. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and applied force can also affect the spring's behavior.