I am calculating the forces on String cheese with net force = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitude of forces F1 and F2, the net vertical force on a wedge, and the presence of force F3 on a hanging wedge. It is ultimately determined that F3 does not exist and the cheese is resting on two strings with forces F1 and F2, as well as its own weight, acting upon it. The conversation also briefly mentions the type of cheese being discussed and the concept of switching frames in Newtonian physics.
rgtr
Homework Statement
Example 2: String cheese A wedge of cheese is suspended at rest by two strings which exert forces of magnitude F1 and f2 as seen below. There is also a downward force of gravity on the cheese of magnitude 20 N What is the magnitude of the force F1? What is the magnitude of the force F2?
Relevant Equations
## f = ma ##
Physics news on Phys.org
rgtr said:
Shouldn't ay be ax?
Why? The 20N is a vertical force, and ##F_1\sin(60°)## is the vertical component of ##F_1##.

Are you saying o or F1Y = 20N? I don't understand why. Can someone explain?

rgtr said:
What is the net vertical force on the wedge?

Sorry I used a old account to originally respond. The answer is the net force is 0.

rgtr said:
Sorry I used a old account to originally respond. The answer is the net force is 0.
Yes, but what vertical forces on it sum to that?

rgtr said:

wqi4ed_processed.png
That wedge of cheese is hanging at rest, according to the problem.
Therefore, forces in all directions cancel each other.
If you define axes x and y as to be aligned with F2 and F4, then you need to decompose F1 in its projections on each of those axes: F1x and F1y.

You should remove that F3 from your schematic, since it does not exist.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
How can you ignore F3? It can range from 0-20N depending on F1Y. F1Y can also range from 0-20N depending on F3.

rgtr said:
How can you ignore F3? It can range from 0-20N depending on F1Y. F1Y can also range from 0-20N depending on F3.
The cheese is not resting on a horizontal surface so there is no upwards normal reaction force (unlike a piece of cheese on a table foe example).

There is no vertical string, so there is no upwards pull from the tension a vertical string.

So there is no upwards force, F3, acting on the piece of cheese. F3 should be removed.

There are 3 forces on the cheese:
F1 - the pull (tension) of the right-hand string on the cheese, at 60º to the horizontal;
F2 - the pull (tension) of the left-hand string – horizontally to the left;
20N - the weight of the cheese (the downwards pull of gravity)

If you think there is another force, F3, what is producing this force?

Also, what type of cheese is it?

Likes rgtr and Lnewqban
Thanks I get it now.
The cheese is Gouda.

Also in Newtonian physics when switching frames does acceleration switch like constant velocity?

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "gee, I don't remember ever seeing a physics problem about string cheese."

rgtr said:
... Also in Newtonian physics when switching frames does acceleration switch like constant velocity?
Could you mention an example of switching frames?

Imagine I have a stationary person called A. And a person who running at an accelerating rate called B.
If I switch to B's frame does A accelerate the same amount as B in A's frame just the opposite direction?

Sorry this is a little wordy.

Likes Lnewqban
rgtr said:
Imagine I have a stationary person called A. And a person who running at an accelerating rate called B.
If I switch to B's frame does A accelerate the same amount as B in A's frame just the opposite direction?

Sorry this is a little wordy.
Yes.

1. What is a net force?

A net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a particular direction.

2. Why is the net force on string cheese important to calculate?

The net force on string cheese is important to calculate because it helps us understand how the cheese will behave when subjected to different forces. It also allows us to determine if the cheese will remain at rest or if it will move in a particular direction.

3. How do you calculate the net force on string cheese?

To calculate the net force on string cheese, you need to first identify all the individual forces acting on the cheese. Then, you can use the formula Fnet = ΣF (net force equals the sum of all the individual forces) to find the net force. Make sure to consider the direction of each force when calculating the net force.

4. What is the significance of a net force of 0 on string cheese?

A net force of 0 on string cheese means that all the forces acting on the cheese are balanced and cancel each other out. This indicates that the cheese will remain at rest or maintain a constant velocity. It also tells us that the cheese is in a state of equilibrium.

5. How can the forces on string cheese be balanced to achieve a net force of 0?

The forces on string cheese can be balanced by adjusting the magnitude and direction of each individual force. For example, if there is a force pulling the cheese to the left, a force of equal magnitude and in the opposite direction can be applied to balance it out. Alternatively, multiple forces can act on the cheese in such a way that their combined effect results in a net force of 0.