1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am currently looking into membrane biophysics

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    I am currently looking into membrane biophysics as an area of research, and I will start doing some undergraduate research with one of my professors in his biophysic's labs. But I am curious how is the theory end of Biophysics looking, particularly for graduate programs. I have bumped into a couple, but most look more like theory driven biochemistry rather than biophysics.

Any advice for an aspiring Biophysicist? How about a Theortical Biophysicist?

Or am I just going to have to be a particle physicist...:rolleyes:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2

Check out the TCB group at UIUC if you haven't already.
  4. Nov 27, 2006 #3
    Cool stuff, thanks I was looking for a grad program just like that.

But I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket. Anyone else know of some good ones (I know UW has a program, as does CIT, and I think UBC had one too)?
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    biophysics? is it like biochem but more physics oriented?
  6. Nov 27, 2006 #5
    I think this website sums up biophysics pretty well: http://www.biophysics.org/education/

I want to stress this: IT IS NOT BIOCHEMISTRY!!! Biophysics asks different questions than biochemistry does, and our techniques are different when approaching similar questions.

Still its pretty cool stuff.
  7. Nov 28, 2006 #6

While not strictly biophysics, try looking into various chemistry departments, especially those strong in theoretical/physical - a lot of computational chemists are interested in modeling biological systems.
  8. Nov 28, 2006 #7
    Off the top of my head, I know Princeton has a number of theoretical biological physicists. These people were trained as theoretical physicists in the traditional sense. They are both in the physics department and the molecular bio department. Harvard systems biology department (naturally) also has quite a few such individuals. Really, a lot of the top physics departments now have physicists working on biological problems.
  9. Nov 28, 2006 #8
    Cool! Thanks for the heads up, I am going to start looking into those starting now.
  10. Dec 1, 2006 #9
    UC San Diego has a biophysics program, too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?