Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I am having trouble understanding how to find symmetries given a

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    I am having trouble understanding how to find symmetries given a problem.
    Ex:
    Cylinder, infinite in z, that is a conductor in electrostatics.
    My reasoning is: assuming a homogenous charge distribution, the E-field should be symmetric for translations in z and phi so those derivatives are zero. But how do I do for the components? My only guess was to take the divergence and curl and use helmholtz theorem, but in the curl I still have dEz/drho and an Ephi term. Is the convention to use faradays law and assuming Ez and Ephi are the trivial solutions to the PDE so the Efield only has a rho component?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Re: symmetry

Can't you argue that since the potential is not dependent on z or phi, the z and phi components of E vanish?

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3

Ah yes! That would take care of it! Nice. Is there any other more general approach? Like symmetry groups somehow?

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4

I don't really know enough about symmetry groups in this context to answer that. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will drop by!

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5

Okay, thanks for your answer!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook