I am having trouble understanding how to find symmetries given a

  • Thread starter Thread starter berra
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symmetries
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
berra
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I am having trouble understanding how to find symmetries given a problem.
Ex:
Cylinder, infinite in z, that is a conductor in electrostatics.
My reasoning is: assuming a homogenous charge distribution, the E-field should be symmetric for translations in z and phi so those derivatives are zero. But how do I do for the components? My only guess was to take the divergence and curl and use helmholtz theorem, but in the curl I still have dEz/drho and an Ephi term. Is the convention to use faradays law and assuming Ez and Ephi are the trivial solutions to the PDE so the Efield only has a rho component?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Can't you argue that since the potential is not dependent on z or phi, the z and phi components of E vanish?
 


Ah yes! That would take care of it! Nice. Is there any other more general approach? Like symmetry groups somehow?
 


I don't really know enough about symmetry groups in this context to answer that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will drop by!