1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am having trouble understanding how to find symmetries given a

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    I am having trouble understanding how to find symmetries given a problem.
    Ex:
    Cylinder, infinite in z, that is a conductor in electrostatics.
    My reasoning is: assuming a homogenous charge distribution, the E-field should be symmetric for translations in z and phi so those derivatives are zero. But how do I do for the components? My only guess was to take the divergence and curl and use helmholtz theorem, but in the curl I still have dEz/drho and an Ephi term. Is the convention to use faradays law and assuming Ez and Ephi are the trivial solutions to the PDE so the Efield only has a rho component?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Re: symmetry

Can't you argue that since the potential is not dependent on z or phi, the z and phi components of E vanish?

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3

Ah yes! That would take care of it! Nice. Is there any other more general approach? Like symmetry groups somehow?

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4

I don't really know enough about symmetry groups in this context to answer that. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will drop by!

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5

Okay, thanks for your answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook