1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am in desparate need of a job

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    I am getting my Ph.D. soon, in the field of EUV imaging and optics. Since I am not an American citizen, I have been turned down by some potential employers. I am so depressed. Don't like to whine here but would like to hear suggestions on where to find a job with my background. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    I really hate to burst your bubble, but finding a job in industry with a Phd is becoming more and more difficult in America. I know some Phds who have been looking for jobs for years. One even had to work as a cashier at an amusement park when the going got tough. Nature has a very interesting article about this:

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/2007/070125/full/nj7126-458a.html

I wish I really had some advice for you, but I have none.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    You are not a citizen, but you live here in the states, right?

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if this helps, but NASA seems like it would be a possible candidate. Best of luck!

6. Jan 30, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you're here on a student visa, you'll need someone to sponsor your work visa. There's always teaching. Have you looked into that aspect?

7. Jan 31, 2007 #6
    To work at NASA you MUST be a US citizen, even a naturalized citizen needs to jump through all sorts of hoops to work for the government, for a non-citizen it's simply not possible.

My father-in-law is a naturalized citizen and has a PhD in physics, he taught in Buffalo, NY and Lubbock, TX , and had planned to work on the super collider project near Dallas until the funding fell through so he took a job working for a government contractor. I would think teaching would be the best first option for you for now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?