I am in desparate need of a job

• Thread starter xiaoxiao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of finding a job with a Ph.D. in the field of EUV imaging and optics for a non-American citizen. The speaker suggests looking into NASA or teaching as possible options, but also mentions the challenges of obtaining a work visa for government jobs. The overall tone is one of disappointment and frustration.
xiaoxiao
I am getting my Ph.D. soon, in the field of EUV imaging and optics. Since I am not an American citizen, I have been turned down by some potential employers. I am so depressed. Don't like to whine here but would like to hear suggestions on where to find a job with my background. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I really hate to burst your bubble, but finding a job in industry with a Phd is becoming more and more difficult in America. I know some Phds who have been looking for jobs for years. One even had to work as a cashier at an amusement park when the going got tough. Nature has a very interesting article about this:

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/2007/070125/full/nj7126-458a.html

I wish I really had some advice for you, but I have none.

You are not a citizen, but you live here in the states, right?

xiaoxiao said:
I am getting my Ph.D. soon, in the field of EUV imaging and optics. Since I am not an American citizen, I have been turned down by some potential employers. I am so depressed. Don't like to whine here but would like to hear suggestions on where to find a job with my background. Thanks

I don't know if this helps, but NASA seems like it would be a possible candidate. Best of luck!

If you're here on a student visa, you'll need someone to sponsor your work visa. There's always teaching. Have you looked into that aspect?

berkeman said:
I don't know if this helps, but NASA seems like it would be a possible candidate. Best of luck!

To work at NASA you MUST be a US citizen, even a naturalized citizen needs to jump through all sorts of hoops to work for the government, for a non-citizen it's simply not possible.

My father-in-law is a naturalized citizen and has a PhD in physics, he taught in Buffalo, NY and Lubbock, TX , and had planned to work on the super collider project near Dallas until the funding fell through so he took a job working for a government contractor. I would think teaching would be the best first option for you for now.

Last edited:

What kind of job are you looking for?

I am open to any job opportunities that align with my skills and interests. However, I am particularly interested in roles related to my field of study or previous work experience.

What qualifications do you have?

I have a degree in [field of study] and [number] years of experience in [relevant work experience]. I also possess strong skills in [specific skills or certifications], which make me a valuable asset in any role.

What industries have you worked in?

I have worked in [list of industries] throughout my career. This diverse experience has allowed me to develop a broad range of skills and adapt to different work environments.

What sets you apart from other job seekers?

I am a highly motivated and dedicated individual with a strong work ethic. I am also a quick learner and thrive in fast-paced environments. Additionally, I possess a unique combination of technical skills and strong communication skills, which allow me to excel in both individual and team-based projects.

Can you provide references?

Yes, I can provide references from previous employers and colleagues who can speak to my skills, work ethic, and character. Please let me know if you would like me to provide these references for you.