I am Looking for an Astronomy undergrad program at 50

In summary, the speaker discusses their background as a Physics and Math undergrad who left university in 1996 to work as a C programmer due to family responsibilities. They have since earned a BA in Economics and are currently pursuing a masters in Cyber Security. However, they no longer need to work and are considering going back to university to study Astronomy or Physics. They have a budget of 20k USD for tuition and living expenses and are looking for programs in Europe or Asia that accept non-traditional students. They have had trouble finding suitable programs through Google searches and are seeking suggestions.
brady maxwell
Hello, this crisis has given me a new perspective. I was a Physics and Math undergrad in 1996 when i left uni to work as a C programmer. A mistake i have regretted often, but i had small kids and a wife that needed to eat.

I have since earned a BA in Economics and am writing a masters thesis in Cyber Security. However after a 24 year career in IT i really do not need to work anymore and have enough money to survive without work income. I would like to go back to university and study Astronomy or Physics.

After doing all the math I can comfortable consume 2000 usd a month from my savings and commit about 20k to the cost of study. So i am looking for universities that have Astronomy or Physics programs in English, preferably in Europe, or Asia, where i can live on 2k usd per month and tuition for the full Bachelor's degree is less than 20k USD.

The school would also have to accept non traditional students as I am closing in on 50 as i write this. I would appreciate suggestions, there are so many false leads in a google search that i have given up on that method of discovery, and many of the google-able programs do not respond to email inquiries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the third time you've asked this question over the last couple of years. Clearly something about our answers is unsatisfying. Can you explain what? Otherwise we will likely provide similar answers to the one's you already received.

Likes russ_watters

1. What are the requirements for an Astronomy undergrad program at 50?

The specific requirements for an Astronomy undergrad program at 50 may vary depending on the university or college. However, in general, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as a strong background in mathematics and science courses such as physics, chemistry, and calculus. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. Can I pursue an Astronomy undergrad program at 50 with no prior experience in the field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an Astronomy undergrad program at 50 without any prior experience in the field. Many programs are designed for students with diverse backgrounds and offer introductory courses to help students build a foundation in astronomy. However, having a strong interest and passion for the subject is important for success in the program.

3. Are there any online options for an Astronomy undergrad program at 50?

Yes, there are several universities and colleges that offer online Astronomy undergrad programs for students at any age. These programs typically have the same curriculum and requirements as traditional on-campus programs, but offer more flexibility for students who may have other commitments such as work or family.

4. How long does it take to complete an Astronomy undergrad program at 50?

The time it takes to complete an Astronomy undergrad program at 50 will vary depending on the individual's circumstances and the program's structure. On average, it takes about 4 years to complete a full-time program. However, part-time options may be available for those who need a more flexible schedule.

5. What career opportunities are available with an Astronomy undergrad degree at 50?

An Astronomy undergrad degree at 50 can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, education, science communication, and data analysis. Some common job titles for astronomy graduates include astronomer, research scientist, science educator, and data analyst. Additionally, many graduates go on to pursue advanced degrees in astronomy or related fields.