1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am looking for some help on a little matrix/determinant problem please?

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    i get the feeling that its gonna be hard to type this out but here goes. sorry about the dots, it was the only way.
    i gotta show that the determinant

|..1.......1......-1...|
    |..a......-b.......c...| = (a+b)(a+c)(c-b).
    |a^2...b^2...-c^2.|

however, i cannot quite get the answer to this. there is definitely one of these questions on my exam on friday and i just cannot ever reach the finish line with these ones.

here is as far as i get with this particular one:

|..1.......1.......-1..|
    |..a......-b........c..|
    |a^2...b^2...-c^2|

=

|..1-1............1...........1-1....|
    |..a+b...........-b..........a+c....| (took column 2 from column 1 - determinant unchanged)
    |a^2+b^2....b^2....a^2-c^2..|

=

|......0.............1.............0......|
    |.....a+b..........-b...........a+c....| (neatened things up a bit)
    |(a+b)(a-b).....b^2....(a+c)(a-c)|

=

|..0......1......0...|
    1/(a+b)(a+c)|..1......-b.....1...| (multiplied column 1 by 1/(a+b) & column 2 by 1/(a+c)
    |a-b...b^2...a-c.| - therefore multiplied determinant by same amount)

= (b-c)/(a+b)(a+c) when that simplified determinant is calculated.

ive tried messing around a few ways but this is the closest i have got to the answer, as in this attempt i at least got the (a+b) and (a+c) parts.

can somebody show me the right way to do this please, and most importantly explain it?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Direct calculation of the determinant from the above gives the correct answer - since the first row is 0 1 0, the determinant is given by 2x2 determinant from rows 2 and 3 and columns 1 and 3, with a sign reversal.

4. May 26, 2008 #3
    oh, thank you so much, i feel like an idiot, i have been on AGES trying to figure these out, i feel like an idiot lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook