I am thinking of switching from a Physics BS to a Math BS

In summary, a senior in college who is pursuing two degrees (one in History and one in Physics) is considering switching to a degree in Mathematical Statistics due to struggling in Physics courses but excelling in Math courses. The decision is also influenced by the requirement of maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or above. The switch would add an additional 2 and a half years to their college education. There is some uncertainty about the difficulty of a Math Stats degree compared to a Physics degree, but it is noted that upper level core classes tend to be proof based. The individual has spoken to a Calculus 3 professor who believes that if they are doing well in that course, the rest of the Math Stats degree should come naturally. The Math
matthew9
Hey guys! I am a new member who would love some feedback on a big decision I am making soon. I am a senior in college who is pursuing two degrees (one in History and one in Physics). I am in my second semester of my Physics degree and I am just not doing well (Fs on exams). I really enjoy the subject, but being able to set up the problems just isn't clicking for me (I am currently in E&M and it is not making any sense to me whatsoever). Now having said all of that, I am loving my Math courses. I am currently in Multivariate Calculus and I am doing well in that course. My concern is that my GPA will keep tanking if I stay with Physics, but since I seem to enjoy math more and am doing well I would like to switch to a degree in Mathematical Statistics. There are many different factors that require me to have a GPA above a 3.0 and if I stay with physics, I just won't be able to maintain it. Any advice on how difficult a math stats degree is compared to a physics degree? I feel like the extra step of having to recognize how to set up physics problems to do the math is what is killing me. Thanks for helping me out! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
matthew9 said:
I am a senior in college who is pursuing two degrees (one in History and one in Physics). I am in my second semester of my Physics degree

How is that possible? Were you planning on staying in college for six years (or more) total?

I had a ton of credit going into school. I am only in my 3rd year right now and the math degree would only add another 2 and a half years. I have scholarships for the first 4 years, so I am able to stretch it out a little bit.

Guys, I would really love some input on this. Are there any thoughts on a Math degree with a concentration in Mathematical Statistics?

I switched from a physics BS to a math BS this semester and I am much happier. I have troubles similar to yours when it comes to physics courses. Don't know much about mathematical statistics. Why that? You just mentioned that out of the blue. Are you interested in statistics and/or taken any statistics courses before?

I think this depends on each person. A math degree typically requires, multivariate, linear algebra, abstract algebra (1 and possibly 2), real analysis (1 and possibly 2), + taking a bunch of electives. I stated the bare minimum requirement. At my school Calc 1+Calc 2 do not count towards the major requirement.

upper level core classes tend to be proof based and whether or not electives are depends on what you choose.

Edit: I just realized you asked about a maths stats degree? I'm not sure I know what that is because my school does not have that.

I'd make that decision after you first proof class which is usually linear algebra(or poof based class). If you really like proofs and that clicks for you then consider it. The calc series is very different type of class compared to the rest of the math courses you'll need to take.

Likes Niflheim
esuna said:
I switched from a physics BS to a math BS this semester and I am much happier. I have troubles similar to yours when it comes to physics courses. Don't know much about mathematical statistics. Why that? You just mentioned that out of the blue. Are you interested in statistics and/or taken any statistics courses before?
Well the university I attend offers it as a concentration and it does seem very interesting. Also being able to use statistical analysis will help me immensely in any professional setting.

Loststudent22 said:
I'd make that decision after you first proof class which is usually linear algebra(or poof based class). If you really like proofs and that clicks for you then consider it. The calc series is very different type of class compared to the rest of the math courses you'll need to take.
I appreciate your advice. The degree plan that I am looking at only has one or two really proof heavy classes, so I am not too worried about it. I spoke to my Calculus 3 professor since he was a statistician and he thinks that if I am doing well in Calc 3, the rest of the degree should follow fairly naturally.

bluechic92 said:
I think this depends on each person. A math degree typically requires, multivariate, linear algebra, abstract algebra (1 and possibly 2), real analysis (1 and possibly 2), + taking a bunch of electives. I stated the bare minimum requirement. At my school Calc 1+Calc 2 do not count towards the major requirement.

upper level core classes tend to be proof based and whether or not electives are depends on what you choose.

Edit: I just realized you asked about a maths stats degree? I'm not sure I know what that is because my school does not have that.
The thing about the Math Stats is that it requires less abstract math courses (Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis 2, etc). The three hardest classes that I am looking at are Discreet Dynamical Systems (Chaos theory), Advanced Calculus (very proof heavy and this is real analysis if I am not mistaken), and Vector Spaces (basically the 4000 level Linear Algebra course). I already have most of the lower level requirements for the degree, I just need to work on the upper level stuff after Linear Algebra 1.

1. Why are you considering switching from a Physics BS to a Math BS?

There could be a variety of reasons for wanting to switch from a Physics BS to a Math BS. Some common reasons include a stronger interest in mathematics, better career opportunities in the field of mathematics, or a desire for a more theoretical and abstract approach to problem-solving.

2. Will the course requirements for a Math BS be significantly different from those for a Physics BS?

Yes, the course requirements for a Math BS will likely be different from those for a Physics BS. While both degrees require a strong foundation in math and science, the specific courses and level of mathematical rigor may vary between the two programs. Be sure to carefully review the requirements for both degrees before making a decision.

3. Will switching to a Math BS affect my career options?

Switching from a Physics BS to a Math BS may open up new career options in fields such as finance, data science, and computer science. However, it may also close some opportunities in physics-related fields. It's important to research and consider your career goals before making the switch.

4. Are there any benefits to having both a Physics BS and a Math BS?

Having both a Physics BS and a Math BS can be beneficial in certain fields, such as theoretical physics and mathematical modeling. It may also demonstrate a strong interdisciplinary skill set to potential employers. However, it may also require additional time and resources to complete both degrees.

5. How can I best prepare for the transition from a Physics BS to a Math BS?

To prepare for the transition, it's important to familiarize yourself with the specific requirements and expectations of the Math BS program. You may also want to brush up on your math skills and consider taking some introductory math courses before officially switching majors. Additionally, it may be helpful to talk to current students or advisors in the Math department to get a better understanding of the program and any potential challenges you may face.