I came up with a cool parametric equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation involving fresnel integrals and arcsinh, and the speaker mentions using Wolfram Alpha to find interesting plane curves. They also mention that this discussion should be in the lounge.
sgfw
y = 2.5*(fresnelC(t*2) - arcsinh(t/2))
x = 2.5*(fresnelS(t) + arcsinh(t/2))

In case you don't have anything that can graph this, this is what it looks like from t = -2*pi to 2*pi, from y = -7 to 7, and from x= -7 to 7:

Z6dhV9R.png

There are a lot of interesting ones that can be made with the fresnel integrals, but I won't list the other ones that I found because they are all pretty similar.

Do you have any cool equations? I tried looking online, but the ones I could find weren't all that great.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
sgfw said:
y = 2.5*(fresnelC(t*2) - arcsinh(t/2))
x = 2.5*(fresnelS(t) + arcsinh(t/2))

In case you don't have anything that can graph this, this is what it looks like from t = -2*pi to 2*pi, from y = -7 to 7, and from x= -7 to 7:

Z6dhV9R.png

There are a lot of interesting ones that can be made with the fresnel integrals, but I won't list the other ones that I found because they are all pretty similar.

Do you have any cool equations? I tried looking online, but the ones I could find weren't all that great.
Wolfram Alpha has a LOT of cool plane curves. Many of them are rather amusing. For example, this one.

As a side note, this probably should go in the lounge.

Last edited:

What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that defines the relationship between two or more variables in terms of one or more parameters. It is often used to describe geometric figures or physical phenomena.

How is a parametric equation different from a standard equation?

A standard equation contains variables that are directly related to each other, while a parametric equation uses parameters to relate the variables. This allows for a more flexible and versatile representation of the relationship between the variables.

What makes a parametric equation "cool"?

A "cool" parametric equation is one that is unique, creative, and visually appealing. It may have unexpected patterns or shapes, or solve a complex problem in a simple and elegant way.

Can anyone come up with a cool parametric equation?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and an interest in creativity and problem-solving can come up with a cool parametric equation. It takes practice, experimentation, and a willingness to think outside the box.

How can parametric equations be applied in real life?

Parametric equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, design complex structures, and create visually stunning animations and special effects.