Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I I cannot figure out what I saw in this picture, help me

1. Jun 4, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone, 2 days ago at 10am in Monterrey Mexico i looked at the sky and saw this strange lights, and i want to know what are they. Can some astronomer help me figure out what are they? Note: These things are not product of the lens of the camera, i saw them with my own eyes. My deduction is that they are some diffraction or refraction of light and they focus in singular points, just like light pillars. WhatsApp Image 2017-06-03 at 10.38.28 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-06-03 at 10.38.49 PM.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

How did they behave? Were they moving? Did they change in intensity or blink or anything?

4. Jun 4, 2017 #3
    No, they were just stationary. They disappeared like 10 min after staying there.

5. Jun 4, 2017 #4
    Light from some ceiling lamps? Is that glass between you and the outside?

6. Jun 4, 2017 #5
    Theres no glass, there no medium between me and the lights

7. Jun 4, 2017 #6

fresh_42

To me it looks like a multiple reflection as there are at least two, eventually three more or less identical constellations. Maybe some (temperature) layers in the air reflected the lights from those on the mountain or from somewhere else.

8. Jun 5, 2017 #7

russ_watters

Can you link us to a full resolution version of the photo?

9. Jun 5, 2017 #8
  10. Jun 5, 2017 #9
  11. Jun 5, 2017 #10
    As well as the apparent lights in the sky, there are bright objects on the mountain in a roughly similar pattern.
    Do you know what those lights on the ground are?, could they be related?

12. Jun 5, 2017 #11
    They are more lights, but there is an illusion that they are in the mountain, but they are not on ground.

13. Jun 5, 2017 #12
    Did they fade after dark? We saw something similar in New Zealand last year, it turned out to be Google balloons, they had launched 8 of them from south of us. What was amazing was that they stayed in formation and looked stationary. They faded as the sun went down which gave us the clue.

Cheers

14. Jun 5, 2017 #13
    Is there a military base nearby? They look like flares.

15. Jun 6, 2017 #14
    I say flares or your camera, do you have other photos?

16. Jun 6, 2017 #15

stefan r

Gold Member

Did they have the same color tone as sunlight? Could you get someone to walk to the far side of the overpass (rt40) and hold up a mirror? See if reflected sunlight looks the same. Try again on the far side of the river (also rt40?). Use cell phones so that (s)he knows if you got the photo. Might be worth trying with both a small hand held mirror, a large mirror, and something like a mylar balloon or aluminum foil.

It looks like a bright triangle is sticking out of the left side of the mountain. On my laptop screen that washes out to the same whiteness as the points.

If you force the camera to focus on bright objects your picture darkens. Making it focus on bright objects like a cloud will create dimmer photos. On manual cameras you can adjust the aperture.

17. Jun 6, 2017 #16
    It was likely a flight of those hot-air paper sky-lantern-balloon things, or something similar. That would explain why they faded after 10 mins- parafin fuel runs out, flame dies, balloon falls back to earth. Those things will only fly to a certain altitude, til they reach bouyant equilibrium, then fly no higher, til their flame goes out.

18. Jun 6, 2017 #17

OCR

19. Jun 6, 2017 #18

OCR

20. Jun 6, 2017 #19

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

he said he could see them visually without the camera ... he had already discounted lens flare etc

21. Jun 7, 2017 #20

stefan r

Gold Member

1404412835.jpg

Is that the same lights on the right side of the picture? This photo was taken inside atrium club empresarial, monterrey mexico. I suspect guywithdoubts may be on to something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook