I can't figure out if this statement is true or false, i said false

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
mr_coffee
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
1
This chapter is working with negations of Quantified statements.

True or False. All the occurrrences of the letter u in the title of this book are lower case. Justify your answer.

I said false, because they arn't being clear when they say "this" If even 1 book doesn't have a lowercase its false. But what is the method you would go about solving this?

I never took a negation of a non-if then statement. If its if then, its pretty easy:
~(Ax, if P(x) then Q(x)) equivlent too Ex such that P(x) and ~Q(x)
or

Ax in D, Q(x) equivlent Ex in D such that ~Q(x)

Note: A should be upside down, and E should be backwards.

THanks! :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If this problem was in a chapter of your textbook, look at the title of your textbook!
 
It was, the title of my textbook is:

Susanna S. Epp
Discrete Mathematics with applications Third Editition

So is Susanna S. Epp part of the title? I think not, so it has to be false right?
 
Are all unicorns green? In logic this translates to,
For all x, if x is a unicorn, x is green.
or more informally
If there is a unicorn, it is green.

There aren't any unicorns, so the antecedent of that implication is false. So all unicorns are green.

Does this help you?
 
yes I believe so! Since the title of the book has no u's (they don't exist, like the unicorn), So All the occurrrences of the letter u in the title of this book are lower case.