I can't seem to keep my Paraffin wax in liquid form

• Thread starter Dene
  • Start date
Summary
Paraffin lubrication problems.
Hello everyone, I'm trying to make lubrication out of paraffin, this is what I am doing, 1/3 melted paraffin wax, 1/3 paraffin oil, and 1/3 xylene. After melting the wax I add the oil, I then add the oil, mix it well to the correct consistency, I then transfer it to a glass container where I add the xylene. The problem is once it cools it turns to a soft paste. What am I doing incorrectly? The idea was the xylene was the carrying agent that would evaporate quickly and leave the wax lube behind.

rbelli1

Gold Member
You have way to much wax for that amount of solvent.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4925497.html

This paper patent indicates 7.8 grams at 38C maximum solubility of paraffin in 100g xylene.

BoB

Edit: It is a patent not a paper.

Last edited:
Thank you Bob, should I keep the base oil at 7.8 grams also? What I want is the xylene to evaporate and keep the wax behind. I have hexane also, could I use this instead of xylene?

rbelli1

Gold Member
Hexane will work a little bit better per the linked document. Cyclohexane is way better.

Both the solid and liquid forms are paraffins so I doubt you will get 7.8g of each to dissolve. Please note that dissolving that amount requires it to be heated to 38C.

What are you attempting to lubricate?

BoB

I am will be lubricating chains, the wax is good as a water and dirt repellent, and the lubrication is very good.
The idea was to melt the wax add the base oil to make the paraffin wax not too crumbly when it drys on the chain. The hexane was just a carrying agent which evaporates quickly once applied.

Do you think i should just melt the wax and add the hexane? The wax i am using has a very low oil content.
So by adding the base oil, which i would use paraffin oil it would loosen the wax and would coat the chain bett
er.

Thanks again

Dene

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Summary: Paraffin lubrication problems.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to make lubrication out of paraffin, this is what I am doing, 1/3 melted paraffin wax, 1/3 paraffin oil, and 1/3 xylene. After melting the wax I add the oil, I then add the oil, mix it well to the correct consistency, I then transfer it to a glass container where I add the xylene. The problem is once it cools it turns to a soft paste. What am I doing incorrectly? The idea was the xylene was the carrying agent that would evaporate quickly and leave the wax lube behind.
The described process resembles how paste-waxes are made.