One of my wheelchair motors overheats and stops working

• Thread starter Roysmokie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
  • Featured
In summary, the individual uses an electric wheelchair to get around and recently experienced a problem with the chair's motor overheating while on a trip to a local store. They were able to temporarily resolve the issue by using a skin treatment product to cool down the motor, but are unsure if the motors require periodic lubrication or if there may be a loose electrical connection causing the issue. They have reached out to the manufacturer for guidance, but have not received a response. They are seeking advice on how to further test and potentially fix the issue.
Roysmokie
Hi can anyone help. I use an electric wheelchair to get around and can only walk a few steps with a wheeled walker. Yesterday I went to my local out of town ASDA, a 1.5 mile trip approx through an alley/Public Footpath, I have done this many times before. This time I was about 3/4 of the way there and the chair started to judder and slow down and pull to the right. It then stopped and after a quick look the right hand motor was hot enough to literally blister my finger whilst the left hand one was touchably warm. I waited for a while and the chair switched on and moved a short way (100mtrs or so) then started to judder again, so I stopped again. My only thought was to get to ASDA and get help so I looked in the backpack on the chair in the hope of finding something to cool it down like a forgotten water bottle. All I found was a 500 ml bottle of Oilatum ( a liquid paraffin skin treatment) I poured half of this over the motor and waited for 1/2 hr and then poured the rest of the liquid over it to cool it even more so I could get to the supermarket and get help. I got to ASDA and the motor was much cooler. I went to the cafe and turned it off for an hour and then switched on and did my shopping, checking the temp of the now cool motor every few mins. It did not overheat so I continued my homeward journey, the motor stayed at the same temp as the other one and did not get hot even though the return journey is more uphill. Does this mean the motors need lubrication or was this coincidence?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure sounds that way. Does it have a spot to apply oil to the bearings? Does the user manual mention lubrication ?

Have you a photograph of it?

Hmm. If it was lack of lubrication there would be no reason for the temperature to return to normal when you got back to pavement.

One guess is that it vibration caused by the footpath being rougher than the pavement. There might be a loose electrical connection somewhere that stays connected except when there is vibration.

Can you test it by driving over a lawn or some rough ground closer to home? Just drive a short distance and see if the motor begins to warm up.

I'm thinking of a terminal like the ones below when the nuts are not tight.
slask.png

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    34 KB · Views: 1,915
Last edited:
Likes scottdave and Roysmokie
jim hardy said:
Sure sounds that way. Does it have a spot to apply oil to the bearings? Does the user manual mention lubrication ?

Hi, thanks for responding. The problem with equipment for disabled people is that most manufacturers (understandably) assume people with disabilities can't do their own maintainence so only give operating instructions not manuals. I can do most things except walk and I cannot afford the large amounts quoted just to look at it. As a PC hardware support and repair engineer when I was working I am quite practical but don't know enough about DC motors to know if routine lubrication is required I have emailed Invacare (the manufacturer) but on past experience I do not expect a reply except the usual "Contact our service dept. and arrange your repair" which was the reply I got when asking how to replace the batteries, I was quoted £375 to supply and fit them, I bought a brand new set with a 6 year warranty from Amazon for £110 and fitted them myself in 30 mins. Really just need to know if DC motors require periodic lubrication normally. I cannot see any lubrication points but given what happened I can see no other explanation.
Regards Roy

Likes Praneet Kapoor
anorlunda said:
Hmm. If it was lack of lubrication there would be no reason for the temperature to return to normal when you got back to pavement.

One guess is that it vibration caused by the footpath being rougher than the pavement. There might be a loose electrical connection somewhere that stays connected except when there is vibration.

Can you test it by driving over a lawn or some rough ground closer to home? Just drive a short distance and see if the motor begins to warm up.

Hi, thanks for responding. I think you misunderstood, i was on a paved but deserted public footpath not a roadside pavement, and the left hand motor was just warm, as they both usually are. It started to judder and pull right then switched itself off. I waited for it to cool a bit until it would turn back on. It soon stopped again due to getting hotter again. I then found the Oilatum in my bag and used the liquid to help cool it quicker so I could get out of the deserted alleyway where I was vulnerable to mugging etc After pouring the liquid I waited for a fair while it cooled down so it was much cooler. Then when I carried on to the supermarket it cooled down even more WHILST IN USE so whatever caused it to overheat was no longer happening. Logically the only conclusion is the Oilatum lubricated the bearings or similar. So my question is, do these motors need regular lubrication.
Regards Roy

Overheating motor.
Other areas to consider
You also have a gearbox.
You also have an axle from the gearbox to the wheel.
Both of those two points could have been putting more stress on the motor causing it to overheat.
How.
Grease in the gearbox is drying out.
Axle bearing is failing.
The axle could have also picked up a plastic bag, twine, that wrapped itself around.
an alley is a good place to pickup stuff.
The paraffin drip onto the axle can act as a lubricant, until next time if that is the case.
( Maybe a cat is stuck in there - any meuwing sounds ::rolleyes: )
( Vacuum cleaner beaters have a tendency to pick up and wrap stuff around the axle and fail that way.
People throw them out without looking for the cause )
Front wheel could could be misaligned.

I think the whole machine should just be looked at places that can produce stress on the motor.

Likes Roysmokie
256bits said:
Overheating motor.
Other areas to consider
You also have a gearbox.
You also have an axle from the gearbox to the wheel.
Both of those two points could have been putting more stress on the motor causing it to overheat.
How.
Grease in the gearbox is drying out.
Axle bearing is failing.
The axle could have also picked up a plastic bag, twine, that wrapped itself around.
an alley is a good place to pickup stuff.
The paraffin drip onto the axle can act as a lubricant, until next time if that is the case.
( Maybe a cat is stuck in there - any meuwing sounds ::rolleyes: )
( Vacuum cleaner beaters have a tendency to pick up and wrap stuff around the axle and fail that way.
People throw them out without looking for the cause )
Front wheel could could be misaligned.

I think the whole machine should just be looked at places that can produce stress on the motor.

Hi, This is an electric wheelchair each rear wheel has a motor directly connected to it so there is no gearbox or axle, This won't let me post a picture but it is an Invacare Mirage Electric Wheelchair, there are many images of it on Google.

Roysmokie said:
Logically the only conclusion is the Oilatum lubricated the bearings or similar.

That is not the only possible conclusion. Experienced troubleshooters will tell you that the worst mistake they can make is to leap to one theory prematurely. It is like the homicide detective who blinds himself by prematurely thinking that the butler did it.

A loose connection is still possible. Several of the other things that @256bits said are still possible.

Unless there is a defect in manufacture, it would be very unusual for bearings on a DC motor to lose their lubrication within the normal lifetime of the machine.

Likes Roysmokie
You can see a small cap on the motor, one or both ends, if it indeed takes oil. Some motors are permanently lubed and so sealed and it is difficult to get oil inside. Look at the motor if you can get to it and see if there is a little cap that swings up to allow oiling. If not, you might try squirting penetrating oil, like liquid wrench onto the outside of the bearings shooting on the shaft, maybe that will get some oil inside.

Also, look for wheel bearings needing oil too, if the motor starts overheating again, try lifting up the hot side wheel and see if it spins freely when power is not applied. Also, if you can get to the motors and take them out, you might try reversing the motors left and right. If the same side overheats, there is something going on with the wheel, if it goes to the other side, the motor is the problem.

Likes Roysmokie
ms26566_1.jpg

That's the picture I get from for a wheelchair.
It is a whole assembly.
( To post a picture, for windows, right click on the picture, copy all of the address from the popup, at PF at the top of the posting click on the picture icon ( right next to the smiley face ) , paste the address in the box Image URL , and then click INSERT. )
That's the left side. Right side is similar.
from
https://www.mobilitysmart.cc/invaca...-gearbox-electromagnetic-brake-left-side.html
https://www.mobilitysmart.cc/parts-spares-c-106/power-chair-parts.html

the cylinder part is the DC motor.
The rectangular part is the gearbox.
The sliver disk looking part attaches to the wheel directly with bolts most likely. Call that the hub.
From the hub to the gearbox is a shaft that can be called the axle.
It seems that a clutch and brake are integral to the assembly. And those might be acting up also.
They also have pictures of motor brushes, so I would naturally assume that those can be replaced if need be.

It doesn't hurt to look that whole part over if you can.

Attachments

• ms26566_1.jpg
    ms26566_1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,627
Likes Roysmokie and anorlunda
Here'a another thing you can do to test. Buy or borrow a non-contact temperature gun. You can get one for less than £8.

slask.png

If a bearing or lubrication is the problem, the bearing will be warmer than the body of the motor. If the problem is electrical or due to excessive load, the body of the motor will be warmer than the bearings. If the gearbox, or the clutch is the trouble, then it will be the hottest point.

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 972
Likes berkeman, 256bits and Roysmokie
Wheelchairs have brakes, often directly mounted on the back end of the motor shaft. They are typically multiple discs, similar to a multiple disc clutch or the Coaster Brake on old single speed bicycles. They are applied by default and released when the motor is energized. It sounds like the brake did not fully release on that one motor. Perhaps due to dirt in it or a loose electrical connection. The other possibility is that motor has an intermittent short in it... but I would go with a stuck brake first, especially with your description "...started to judder and slow down and pull to the right."

Wheelchairs generally have a manual brake release, sometimes called "freewheeling lever" or similiar, so the chair can be pushed if the drive fails. That would be a possible workaround the next time the situation arises. Depending on your tool inventory and mechanical adeptness, you can likely at least get access to the brake assembly for inspection. SInce the brake defaults to 'engaged' via a rather stiff spring, don't disassemble further than you can reassemble! It may just need a cleaning and debris removal.

Oh, and the chair stopping in that situation is normal, the motors have a thermal overload in them for their self-protection.

Please keep us updated on your findings and resolution.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes mfb, jim hardy, CWatters and 3 others
oops i got distracted... went out to look for an old wheelchair i have to see if it's same brand... several posts appeared in the meantime so this is out-of-date.. sorry 'bout that.
Aha ! Here's a Youtube of a handyman working on an Invacare wheelchair motor.

His has a built in brake that's controlled by an electromagnet.
He says the logic is ENERGIZE the electromagnet to RELEASE the brake. I guess that way it won't roll down a hill if the battery is dead.

So that invites your observed trouble if there's an intermittent connection to that brake electromagnet.

That seems to me a lot more likely than a sudden loss of lubrication.

Intermittent connection explains the jerkiness, too.
But that it fixed itself is worrisome. It'll come back, unless the motor wrecked the brake rendering it ineffective...

What do you think ?

Last edited:
Likes CWatters and wirenut
Please do check the current and voltage with a multimeter for both the motors, in no load conditions and see these values are within the range of name plate , if its not, then the problem with motor or gear box or clutch.
Usually the motor and gear box are fitted with life time lubricated bearingns

Sent from my E5363 using Tapatalk

Likes Roysmokie
Tom.G said:
Wheelchairs have brakes, often directly mounted on the back end of the motor shaft. They are typically multiple discs, similar to a multiple disc clutch or the Coaster Brake on old single speed bicycles. They are applied by default and released when the motor is energized. It sounds like the brake did not fully release on that one motor. Perhaps due to dirt in it or a loose electrical connection. The other possibility is that motor has an intermittent short in it... but I would go with a stuck brake first, especially with your description "...started to judder and slow down and pull to the right."

Wheelchairs generally have a manual brake release, sometimes called "freewheeling lever" or similiar, so the chair can be pushed if the drive fails. That would be a possible workaround the next time the situation arises. Depending on your tool inventory and mechanical adeptness, you can likely at least get access to the brake assembly for inspection. SInce the brake defaults to 'engaged' via a rather stiff spring, don't disassemble further than you can reassemble! It may just need a cleaning and debris removal.

Oh, and the chair stopping in that situation is normal, the motors have a thermal overload in them for their self-protection.

Please keep us updated on your findings and resolution.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for replying. I think you have solved my mystery. I thought the oil had done the job because it was the only thing that I changed between running hot and running warm BUT until you mentioned it I had forgotten the brakes, as you know Wed was extremely hot and where the chair stopped was in full sun, so I released the brakes manually to scoot backwards into the shade and then re-engaged the brakes to wait for it to cool down. If it was debris or dirt in the mechanism, manually operating them may well have dislodged any blockage. As for the thermal cutouts, these have come into play in the past but only on very hot days going up the steep hill near my home, on those occasions both motors stopped and I just waited for them to cool, press the reset buttons and away we go. On those occasions there was no juddering or slowing down, just running normally then stopping dead as you would expect, also the motor was nowhere near as hot then as it was this time but the cutout did not operate, so I think that it was the friction of binding brakes causing the heat. I will try to check the electrical connections and clean the brakes out this morning. Thank you again for your help.
Best Regards
Roy

Likes mfb
jim hardy said:
oops i got distracted... went out to look for an old wheelchair i have to see if it's same brand... several posts appeared in the meantime so this is out-of-date.. sorry 'bout that.
Aha ! Here's a Youtube of a handyman working on an Invacare wheelchair motor.

His has a built in brake that's controlled by an electromagnet.
He says the logic is ENERGIZE the electromagnet to RELEASE the brake. I guess that way it won't roll down a hill if the battery is dead.

So that invites your observed trouble if there's an intermittent connection to that brake electromagnet.

That seems to me a lot more likely than a sudden loss of lubrication.

Intermittent connection explains the jerkiness, too.
But that it fixed itself is worrisome. It'll come back, unless the motor wrecked the brake rendering it ineffective...

What do you think ?
Thanks Jim, I think it probably was the brakes. Please see my reply to Tom G. Thanks again
Roy

Likes jim hardy
We should have a trophy badge, maybe "The Sherlock Holmes Award" In this thread, @Tom G would be the winner.

Think of the process in threads similar to this one.
  1. The OP provides a description, usually very incomplete. In this thread, it was more complete than in many threads.
  2. The OP brings his own theory about the correct answer, thus introducing a bias.
  3. The OP asks a specific question (in this case " Does this mean the motors need lubrication or was this coincidence?" We can answer the question literally, or we can use critical thinking. In this case, critical thinking led us to think "That's the wrong question."
  4. In some threads (not this one) the OP might be offended if we don't answer literally. There's not much we can do about that.
  5. Actual replies ranged from literal, to "need more info", to general advice on troubleshooting not specific to wheelchairs, to wheelchair specific.
  6. In many threads (not this one) we get replies that comment on other replies, ignoring the OP question. That didn't happen here.
I think this thread illustrates PF's engineering forums at their best. Kudos to everyone.

Likes NTL2009 and Roysmokie
anorlunda said:
We should have a trophy badge, maybe "The Sherlock Holmes Award" In this thread, @Tom G would be the winner.

Think of the process in threads similar to this one.
  1. The OP provides a description, usually very incomplete. In this thread, it was more complete than in many threads.
  2. The OP brings his own theory about the correct answer, thus introducing a bias.
  3. The OP asks a specific question (in this case " Does this mean the motors need lubrication or was this coincidence?" We can answer the question literally, or we can use critical thinking. In this case, critical thinking led us to think "That's the wrong question."
  4. In some threads (not this one) the OP might be offended if we don't answer literally. There's not much we can do about that.
  5. Actual replies ranged from literal, to "need more info", to general advice on troubleshooting not specific to wheelchairs, to wheelchair specific.
  6. In many threads (not this one) we get replies that comment on other replies, ignoring the OP question. That didn't happen here.
I think this thread illustrates PF's engineering forums at their best. Kudos to everyone.

Thank you, You are absolutely right, I expressed my theory (wrong as it turned out) and probably pointed responders in the wrong direction but happily, people looked for other causes and Tom Gs' suggestion made more sense. I have checked and cleaned the connections and removed years of grime from the brake mechanism and all seems well now, time will tell. I am going out later for quite a while in this hot weather so I will monitor the temp closely.
I would never get offended by people trying to help me, there is no point asking for help if you don't listen to and evaluate their suggestions. Once again thank you to everyone that helped. Great site.

Likes jim hardy, Ophiolite, donpacino and 1 other person
anorlunda said:

As an old troubleshooter every problem is like a mystery novel (or short story).
EDN magazine had a series called "Sherlock Ohms" where readers sent in their troubleshooting stories.

And every old utility engineer remembers "Power" magazine's legendary "Marmaduke "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmaduke_Surfaceblow
Marmaduke Surfaceblow is a fictional engineer. His globe-girdling engineering adventures written by Steve Elonka first appeared in Power Magazine in 1948.[1]

Marmaduke is a marine engineer with vast knowledge of machinery. He works out of an office over O'Houlihan's Machine Shop in the Hells Kitchen area of New York City. His imposing 6 ft 4 in stature is described in every story along with his steelbrush moustache and size 16 "canal boat" shoes. Surfaceblow smokes Ringelmann #5 cigars[2] that produce acrid clouds leaving others teary-eyed.

Likes anorlunda
jim hardy said:
And every old utility engineer remembers "Power" magazine's legendary "Marmaduke "

Oh yeah. I used to love the Marmaduke column. It was very well written.

The humor was precious.
No internet back then . It took me years to figure out the Ringelmann #5 cigar pun - Ringelmann is an opacity test for smokestacks..

Ringlemann#5.jpg

Attachments

• Ringlemann#5.jpg
    Ringlemann#5.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 902
Likes Nugatory and NTL2009
I would say that the most help in finding a (tentative) solution here was the clear and concise problem statement by the OP, @Roysmokie.
As he is a technologist, he knew that details mattered and extraneous stuff was just that, extraneous.
Roysmokie said:
...I expressed my theory (wrong as it turned out) and probably pointed responders in the wrong direction...
To give responders a starting point, you expressed a tentative conclusion based on the circumstances, the materials available, the observed results, and past experience. That's all any of us can do. In fact, in the Homework threads this is required.

I had a suspicion about the brakes but the photo that @256bits posted, showing the extended rear cover on the motor, was the clincher.
It just happened that I had worked with motors that had built-in brakes before; specifically about 50 years ago when developing controls for an anti-aircraft gun!

As @anorlunda said, Kudos to everyone. And thanks for "The Sherlock Holmes Award" too. (Now if I can just find a frame for it... :wink:)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes jim hardy
Tom.G said:
Now if I can just find a frame for it... :wink:
Aw, heck... that should be elementary. . :wink:

Well, somebody had to say it
. . :-p

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
jim hardy said:

Roysmokie said:
Hi, thanks for responding. The problem with equipment for disabled people is that most manufacturers (understandably) assume people with disabilities can't do their own maintainence so only give operating instructions not manuals. I can do most things except walk and I cannot afford the large amounts quoted just to look at it. As a PC hardware support and repair engineer when I was working I am quite practical but don't know enough about DC motors to know if routine lubrication is required I have emailed Invacare (the manufacturer) but on past experience I do not expect a reply except the usual "Contact our service dept. and arrange your repair" which was the reply I got when asking how to replace the batteries, I was quoted £375 to supply and fit them, I bought a brand new set with a 6 year warranty from Amazon for £110 and fitted them myself in 30 mins. Really just need to know if DC motors require periodic lubrication normally. I cannot see any lubrication points but given what happened I can see no other explanation.
Regards Roy

Hi Jim,
As expected, the following is the email I received back from Invacare, Still, they managed to deduce "there seems to be sort of problem". So now I know!
Seriously though, I have used it all day yesterday and it was fine, so I think it was a sticking brake. Thanks for your input.
Regards
Roy

23/4/2018 10:28
serviceuk@invacare.com

Copy roysmokie@virginmedia.com

Hello.
There seems to be some sort of problem, please visit your local dealers for them to assess the fault.
Regrds.
Cyril.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 21 April 2018 12:07
To: uk@invacare.com
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Contact usfield_requests_type => Need support

field_subject => Wheelchair motor problem

field_description_contact => I have had an Invacare Mirage Wheelchair for about 4 years and it is really excellent. I cannot walk at all so I use it to go everywhere. I was out and the chair started to judder and slow down and pull to the right then cut out. I felt the motors and the RH one actually gave me a blister while the LH one was only warm. I was in a quiet area with nobody around to help so I waited for it to cool a little and tried again it moved for a short while then started to judder again so I turned it off and searched my backpack in the hope of finding a forgotten water bottle or something to cool it with. I had a bottle of Oilatum skin treatment oil and poured this over the motor slowly and it eventually cooled down and I continued my journey to seek assistance. Arriving at the out of town ASDA I let it cool completely. and tried again. This time it got me home (about 2mls) . Oddly the motor only got warm like the other one. Does this mean it needs lubricating and how do I do that please.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the future I suggest keeping something that can cool it on hand at all times in case a similar issue arisis, particularly I would get a coolant designed for cooling motors rather than say a water bottle. But even if that something can cool it effectively I would of course still get it checked after

I like happy endings ;-)

Likes Tom.G
Mine are "Dalton" brand. Were they his brand i'd put one in the mail.
Roysmokie said:
Hello.
There seems to be some sort of problem, please visit your local dealers for them to assess the fault.
Regrds.
Cyril.
That's laughable ! Contacting 'Service' gets you to a clerk ?
Print that, mail it to CEO
upload_2018-4-24_13-55-28.png

with a message to this effect:
Dear Sir

Kindly refer this to your most gray haired engineer . Send a copy to your Quality folks, too

My Invacare Mirage recently stranded me as described in the attached letter.
You have a flawed design in that the brake can apply itself unannounced. I got stranded in an unsavory location and feared for my safety..
You need to incorporate a manual mechanical brake override for use when the circuit to the brake solenoid fails open applying the brake. .

You should also send a corporate troubleshooter to the service department to find the reason behind the pathetic response i received to my inquiry.

Here's all the detail of the brake assembly i could find in your parts catalog.
upload_2018-4-24_14-11-25.png

Kindly send me a replacement brake unit. I will use it to replace my failed one and send it to you. Surely your quality folks will want to figure out what failed.
I'll also add a lever and cam to accomplish manual brake override and send a photo for your engineers ..
Thinking about it, my motor got so hot i worry about its reliability . Would you just send a whole unit, motor and brake ?

Thanks,

Roysmokie himself
upload_2018-4-24_14-18-24.png

Good Luck !

old jim himself

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-24_13-55-28.png
    upload_2018-4-24_13-55-28.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 494
  • upload_2018-4-24_14-11-25.png
    upload_2018-4-24_14-11-25.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 514
  • upload_2018-4-24_14-18-24.png
    upload_2018-4-24_14-18-24.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 464
Likes sophiecentaur, dlgoff and Tom.G
Invacare service manual and parts catalog - find your exact model ?http://www.invacare.co.uk/sites/uk/files/product_documents/fd17eeac3b23549bb92035e6b4c8910fda3649bc_558bb3d29301cc5c6a8b9c74.pdfhttp://www.invacare.co.uk/sites/uk/files/product_documents/a60e2c71cd2d8f0a3e89fe1514da8daa163acd19_MIRAGE_invacare_EN_2016_11_29_19_11_58.pdf

Likes sophiecentaur and Tom.G
Things like this can be hard to figure out. The only real solution is to get it into a position you can look at it, which will likely require help, take of the case/guards and check it out. See if mechanically, it moves freely through all 360o of rotation. Smell. Look at the wires. Are they cracked? Does the insulation look melted anywhere? Check out the connections. Look for any signs of arcing in the inside of the casing. You may be able to find part numbers on individual parts as well, as you did before and pull up manuals on those.

Good luck!

jim hardy said:
Contacting 'Service' gets you to a clerk ?

Sorry, Jim. Contacting any part of a modern company gets you to a clerk. (Their IQ - 100) gives you the percentage probability you’ll get your problem sorted.

Like Roysmokie, I am a ‘man in a shed’, and often viewed as eccentric and a rarity. I consider PF to be my conservation organisation.

My nemeses:
1. The phrase “refer servicing to qualified personnel - no user-serviceable parts inside”.
2. Resin-potted modules that are ‘no longer available’.
3. Ultrasonically-welded seams and, generally, crappy plastic clips instead of proper screws.
4. Tamper-proof screws - pah! Just means another trip to the tool shop.
5. ‘Why don’t you just buy a new one?’

I laugh in the face of “warranty void if removed”.
GF

Likes jim hardy and sophiecentaur
This is yet another facet of modern living. We sometimes need to be philosophical about things and think in terms of the bigger picture. Not many decades ago, there were very few Mobility Scooters about. They were made to last and to be repairable and were beyond the pocket of most people with disabilities.. By using cheaper construction methods, the prices have come down and down and many more people can afford to buy one. The only way to reduce the problem of faults occurring in awkward circumstance is to avoid risk situations or have some 'roadside recovery' facility. It's tough, I know, but that may be the only basis for owning one.
Reading that through, I can see that it applies to a host of modern products. It's swings and roundabouts; either way it costs us.

Guineafowl said:
Like Roysmokie, I am a ‘man in a shed’, and often viewed as eccentric and a rarity.

I'm rapidly becoming a "man in a cave.."

IMHO, in the US automotive engineering community convenience is replacing good judgement. While i appreciate the power of computers to optimize closed loop control of an automobile engine,
i fixed computers for too many years to trust them with anything important.
I simply will not buy an automobile with a throttle plate that's positioned by an electric servomotor instead of a mechanical linkage moved directly by my foot. .
Ditto electric steering and brakes.
When my '02 Ford wears out i'll switch to my no-frills '68 Ford truck.. I have several sets of points, a new alternator and a couple spare coils set aside.. Still need to get brake parts in reserve... It'll outlast me.

Call me curmudgeon ? "Present, Sir !"

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and Guineafowl
sophiecentaur said:
By using cheaper construction methods, the prices have come down and down and many more people can afford to buy one.
Isaac Asimov once pointed out
'We marvel at the craftsmanship of a medieval silver chalice from which royalty drank.. But we forget that the common folk of the day drank from their cupped hands or perhaps a hollowed gourd.. We decry the cheapness of today's mass produced drinking glass , but everybody's got one.'

Used to be a brand new car cost a couple months's of an average workingman's salary . Now it's about a year's. We're going backward.

Sorry for off-topic ramble - old jim

Likes Tom.G
jim hardy said:
i fixed computers for too many years to trust them with anything important.
I simply will not buy an automobile with a throttle plate that's positioned by an electric servomotor instead of a mechanical linkage moved directly by my foot. .

I’m told that the ailerons and other such flaps on even the most modern aircraft are still moved by linkage, cable and pulley. Why might that be, do you think?

<h2>1. What could be causing my wheelchair motor to overheat?</h2><p>There are a few potential causes for your wheelchair motor overheating. It could be due to a mechanical issue, such as a worn out bearing or damaged gears. It could also be caused by an electrical problem, such as a short circuit or a malfunctioning controller. Additionally, environmental factors such as high temperatures or excessive friction can also contribute to overheating.</p><h2>2. How can I prevent my wheelchair motor from overheating?</h2><p>Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent your wheelchair motor from overheating. Make sure to keep the motor clean and free of debris, and check for any signs of wear and tear. Avoid overloading the wheelchair and using it on steep inclines, as this can put excessive strain on the motor. It's also important to use the correct battery and charger recommended by the manufacturer.</p><h2>3. Can I fix a overheating wheelchair motor myself?</h2><p>It depends on the cause of the overheating. If it is a simple issue such as a loose connection or debris blocking the motor, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if the problem is more complex, it's best to seek the help of a professional technician. Attempting to fix a motor without proper knowledge and experience can be dangerous and may cause further damage.</p><h2>4. Is it safe to continue using my wheelchair if the motor overheats?</h2><p>No, it is not safe to continue using your wheelchair if the motor is overheating. This can cause further damage to the motor and potentially put you at risk of injury. It's important to stop using the wheelchair and address the issue as soon as possible.</p><h2>5. How much does it cost to repair an overheating wheelchair motor?</h2><p>The cost of repairing an overheating wheelchair motor can vary depending on the cause of the issue and the extent of the damage. It's best to consult with a professional technician for an accurate estimate. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the motor instead of repairing it.</p>

1. What could be causing my wheelchair motor to overheat?

There are a few potential causes for your wheelchair motor overheating. It could be due to a mechanical issue, such as a worn out bearing or damaged gears. It could also be caused by an electrical problem, such as a short circuit or a malfunctioning controller. Additionally, environmental factors such as high temperatures or excessive friction can also contribute to overheating.

2. How can I prevent my wheelchair motor from overheating?

Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent your wheelchair motor from overheating. Make sure to keep the motor clean and free of debris, and check for any signs of wear and tear. Avoid overloading the wheelchair and using it on steep inclines, as this can put excessive strain on the motor. It's also important to use the correct battery and charger recommended by the manufacturer.

3. Can I fix a overheating wheelchair motor myself?

It depends on the cause of the overheating. If it is a simple issue such as a loose connection or debris blocking the motor, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if the problem is more complex, it's best to seek the help of a professional technician. Attempting to fix a motor without proper knowledge and experience can be dangerous and may cause further damage.

4. Is it safe to continue using my wheelchair if the motor overheats?

No, it is not safe to continue using your wheelchair if the motor is overheating. This can cause further damage to the motor and potentially put you at risk of injury. It's important to stop using the wheelchair and address the issue as soon as possible.

5. How much does it cost to repair an overheating wheelchair motor?

The cost of repairing an overheating wheelchair motor can vary depending on the cause of the issue and the extent of the damage. It's best to consult with a professional technician for an accurate estimate. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the motor instead of repairing it.