I do not understand why i keep getting these trig equations wrong =(

• Thread starter sportsstar469
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving trigonometric equations, specifically finding the solutions for cos x = -1/2 and tan x = -1. The speaker shares their frustration with understanding transformations and graphing trig functions. They also mention making a mistake in finding the angle that gives cos x = 1/2 and ask for tips on transforming graphs of sine and cosine. The expert summarizer also clarifies the concept of adding periods to find general solutions in trigonometric equations.
sportsstar469
cosx= -1/2 i realized my ref triangle is pie /6. i know that cosine is negative in quad 2 and 3. i labeled my axis (this helped me) with pie being 6 pie over 6, pie over 2 i put 3 pie over 6, 3pie over 2 i put as 9 pie over 6, and 2 pie i made 12 pie over 6.

ok since one solution is in quad 2(between 3 pie/6 and 6 pie/6) and ref angle is pie/6 i got 5pie/6

my other solution which is correct in the book is 4pie/3. so i got 4pie/3 and 5pie/6.

the book says 2pie/3 and 4 pie/3.

im just so frustrated, i thought i understood this stuff. its bad enough i can't understand, transformations, reflections, stretching, and compressing trig graphs, but now i can't do the equations either =(

those are my particulars not my general with periods./i then did tanx= -1 and i got 3pie/4 and 7pie/4 as my answers. or since you just need one i just got 3pie/4 + pie k/. the book says the answer is -pie over 4.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What angle gives cos x = 1/2? Is it pi/6?

sportsstar469 said:
those are my particulars not my general with periods./
?
sportsstar469 said:
i then did tanx= -1 and i got 3pie/4 and 7pie/4 as my answers. or since you just need one i just got 3pie/4 + pie k/. the book says the answer is -pie over 4.

The domain of the inverse tangent function (tan-1(x) or arctan(x)) is [itex]-\pi/2 < x < \pi/2[/itex], so that might be why your book gave an answer of [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. The reference point for this angle is the same as the reference point for [itex]7\pi/4[/itex].

BTW, "pie" is something to eat. The name of this Greek letter, [itex]\pi[/itex], is pi.

Last edited:
Tedjn said:
What angle gives cos x = 1/2? Is it pi/6?
yes, i used the special triangle that's what i was told in class...

edit ITS PI OVER 3! WOW I HATE MAKING STUPID MISTAKES!

ANYBODY HAVE ANY TIPS ON (sorry caps) transforming graphs of sine and cosine i am totally lost here ;))
Mark44 said:
?The domain of the inverse tangent function (tan-1(x) or arctan(x)) is [itex]-pi/2 < x < \pi/2[/itex], so that might be why your book gave an answer of [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. The reference point for this angle is the same as the reference point for [itex]7\pi/4[/itex].

BTW, "pie" is something to eat. The name of this Greek letter, [itex]\pi[/itex], is pi.

whyd you put questions under that part? their are general solutions and particular lol. the general is when you add the periods.

im not really sure what you were trying to say, but i think youre saying my second problem was ok?

i know the reference points are the same... when solving trig equations youre supposed to find the exact solutions.. do you remember how to do this

Last edited:
sportsstar469 said:
whyd you put questions under that part? their are general solutions and particular lol. the general is when you add the periods.
I still don't know what you're talking about when you say "add the periods."
sportsstar469 said:
im not really sure what you were trying to say, but i think youre saying my second problem was ok?
Maybe. Were you asked to find a solution in a certain interval? If you were asked to find a solution in the interval [[itex]-\pi/2, \pi/2[/itex]], your answer of 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 isn't in that interval. Keep in mind that the reference points are the same, but the angles aren't equal.
sportsstar469 said:
i know the reference points are the same... when solving trig equations youre supposed to find the exact solutions.. do you remember how to do this
Yes, I remember how to do this, but what's your point?

Mark44 said:
I still don't know what you're talking about when you say "add the periods."

Maybe. Were you asked to find a solution in a certain interval? If you were asked to find a solution in the interval [[itex]-\pi/2, \pi/2[/itex]], your answer of 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 isn't in that interval. Keep in mind that the reference points are the same, but the angles aren't equal.
Yes, I remember how to do this, but what's your point?

these are from what i know, just basic level 1 trig equations. m supposed toi find the particular solutions (the exact angles from the ref angles (nott he ref angles) and then by general solution i mean i take my exact angles and add the period to it.
if my particular solution was 5pie over 3 for a sin equation my general would be that angle plus two pi k.

What are trig equations?

Trig equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and typically involve angles and triangles.

Why am I having trouble with trig equations?

Trig equations can be challenging because they involve multiple steps and require a strong understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.

How can I improve my skills in solving trig equations?

Practice is key when it comes to solving trig equations. Make sure you have a solid understanding of the concepts and try solving a variety of problems to improve your skills.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving trig equations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to use the correct trig function, making errors in simplifying or factoring, and not checking for extraneous solutions.

Where can I find resources for learning and practicing trig equations?

There are many online resources, such as tutorials, practice problems, and videos, that can help you improve your skills in solving trig equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend a study group for additional support.