How do I find the period of a planet's rotation on its axis given ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the minimum period of rotation for a planet with uniform mass density p. The solution involves setting the outward force on a spinning object, represented by centrifugal force, equal to gravity and solving for the rotation rate. The correct equation for this is v=√(GM/R), where M is the mass of the planet and R is the radius. By plugging this into the equation for acceleration (a=v^2/R), we can obtain the equation T^2=3π/Gp, which gives us the minimum period of rotation. The conversation also touches on the difference between centrifugal force and centripetal acceleration.
UniBoy5

Homework Statement

Consider a planet with uniform mass density p. If the planet rotates too fast, it will fly apart. Show that the minimum period of rotation is given by

T^2 = 3(pie)/Gp

Homework Equations

F = ma = Gm1m2/R^2 (Equation 1)

a = v^2/R (Equation 2)

v= 2(pie)R/T (Equation 3)

m= (4/3(pie)R^3)p

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting equation 2 into equation 1. I only included the mass of the planet (m). I don't know if this is right. After finding v, I solved for T^2. My answer was not correct. Please help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Slightly the wrong equation.
The planet will fly apart when the centrifugal force at the equator is equal to the gravity.
what's the equation for the outward force on a spinning object?

No idea... that's why I'm asking for help!

I don't see the need for using centrifugal forces since the situation is assumed to being viewed in an inertial frame.

ignoring all the hair splitting stuff about centrifugal force vs centripetal accelration
centrifugal_force.png

There is an equation in your textbook or on google involving centrifugal force and rotation rate,
this is what is going to cause the planet to fly apart.
At the point it does this - this force is equal to gravity.
so set the two equations equal and solve exactly as you did above,

You are almost correct, it's just your definition of 'a' in f=ma that's wrong.
Actually since the equation must involve only rotation rate and radius and have the units of 'a' - you could guess it.

1. How do I determine the period of a planet's rotation?

To find the period of a planet's rotation, you can use the formula: Period = (2π * Radius) / Velocity. This formula takes into account the radius of the planet and the speed at which it rotates around its axis.

2. What is the difference between rotation and revolution?

Rotation refers to the spinning of a planet on its axis, while revolution refers to the movement of a planet around the sun. The period of rotation is typically much shorter than the period of revolution for a planet.

3. How does a planet's size affect its rotation period?

A planet's size can affect its rotation period in two ways. First, a larger planet will typically have a longer rotation period due to its larger radius. Second, the composition and density of the planet can also affect its rotation period.

4. Can the period of a planet's rotation change over time?

Yes, the period of a planet's rotation can change over time due to various factors such as tidal forces, collisions with other objects, and changes in the planet's internal structure. However, these changes are usually very gradual and may not be noticeable in a human lifetime.

5. How do scientists measure a planet's rotation period?

Scientists can measure a planet's rotation period using various techniques such as observing the movement of surface features or using spacecraft to track the planet's rotation. They can also use data from satellites or telescopes to calculate the period based on the planet's size and speed.