Why I Don't Like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats is stuck in my head

  • Thread starter Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Head Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
CFDFEAGURU
Messages
781
Reaction score
10
Somehow I managed to get the Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays, stuck in my head

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lizabella and Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I don't mind them but I do mind when I get that song stuck in my head. :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
I love the song, it sounds so upbeat, but when you find out what it's about...

On 29 January 1979, 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer opened fire on children arriving at Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego from her house across the street, killing two men and wounding eight students and a police officer. Principal Burton Wragg was attempting to rescue children in the line of fire when he was shot and killed, and custodian Mike Suchar was slain attempting to aid Wragg.

Spencer used a rifle her father had given her as a gift. As to what impelled her into this form of murderous madness, she told a reporter, "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."

The "Mondays" comment was not the only eyebrow-raising declaration to issue from Spencer that day. According to a report written by the police negotiators who spoke with her during the six-hour standoff, she made
such comments to them as "There was no reason for it, and it was just a lot of fun"; "It was just like shooting ducks in a pond"; and "[the children ] looked like a herd of cows standing around, it was really easy pickings."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/mondays.asp#El2k9VoeLo8L5ycw.99
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lizabella
I will admit, I didn't know the song's history...
 
CFDFEAGURU said:
I will admit, I didn't know the song's history...
Me neither.

I hate it when I fall in love with a song, then view the video and it's something horrible. Nice way to ruin a song!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lizabella
lisab said:
Me neither.
I hate it when I fall in love with a song, then view the video and it's something horrible. Nice way to ruin a song!
Don't seek the video. There are many videos on the web. :D Enjoy the melody that soothes your mood. That's the point. :D
 
CFDFEAGURU said:
... I do mind when I get that song stuck in my head. :)
Choppy said:
..
Now it's stuck in my head!...
I once ran into the same trouble and realized then that I needed more lubricated food for thoughts.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CFDFEAGURU