Guilt over neglecting subjects I don't like

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker expresses their dislike for certain aspects of electrical engineering, particularly electronics, signals, and controls. However, they have a strong interest in computer architecture, design, and software engineering. They admit to neglecting their studies in the areas they don't like and feel guilty about it, but believe they can learn what they need as needed in their future career. The speaker also mentions that they may prefer digital electronics over analog and dropped a class in the past due to changing their major.
Bipolarity
Hi PF,
It's been a while since I've posted. Anyway, I am at a point in my school curriculum where I am satisfied with all aspects of electrical engineering. I have to really dislike electronics (semiconductor physics and transistor/diode/op-amps and general circuit analysis). I also am not a big fan of signals and controls.

However, I've fallen in love with computer architecture, design, and also digital hardware design and programming digital devices, as well as with anything software engineering related.

That said, I only feel motivated to work on those subjects that I like, and am neglecting in an awful manner that which I don't like, to the point where I leave work to the very last minute, and don't even attend lecture. I get away with good grades, but only because the professors are so lenient, but clearly I am not doing them justice.

So I feel guilty, but am unsure how to resolve it in a way consistent with my goals.

Thanks for the advice!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if you should feel guilty. Probably, you'll get a computer engineering job and mostly use computer engineering. If you need to learn more about something else, you can probably do that as needed. You'd probably like digital electronics more than analogue. I dropped that class because I ditched the EE major and didn't need it, but it was quite a bit better.

1. Why do I feel guilty for neglecting subjects I don't like?

Feeling guilty for neglecting subjects you don't like may be due to societal pressure or personal expectations to excel in all areas of your education. It can also stem from a fear of failure or not meeting your own standards.

2. Is it normal to have a dislike for certain subjects?

Yes, it is completely normal to have a dislike for certain subjects. Everyone has their own strengths and interests, and it is natural for some subjects to come more easily or be more enjoyable than others.

3. How can I overcome my guilt and focus on these neglected subjects?

One way to overcome guilt and focus on neglected subjects is to find a way to make the subject more interesting or relevant to your interests. You can also try breaking down the subject into smaller, more manageable tasks and rewarding yourself for completing them.

4. Will neglecting subjects I don't like impact my future?

It depends on the subject and your career goals. If the subject is directly related to your desired career, neglecting it may hinder your progress. However, if the subject is not relevant to your goals, focusing on other subjects that you excel in may be more beneficial.

5. How can I balance my dislike for certain subjects with the need to do well in them?

One way to balance dislike for certain subjects with the need to do well in them is to find a study method that works for you. This can include seeking help from a tutor or studying in a group. Additionally, try to find the value in the subject and how it can contribute to your overall education and growth.