I don't like Dark Matter and Dark Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 7K views
sylas said:
They do? In what sense? Serious question. I'm surprised to see this comment, but you're a guy who is worth listening to, and asking for clarification.

Cheers -- sylas

they would ask one firstly to DEFINE the centre of the universe.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn, I think (or rather, I hope) Brantoc was just using appeal to ridicule in that post rather than posting ridiculous nonsense.

Brantoc: If that garbage you posted in post #22 was sophomoric hyperbole, it was an appeal to ridicule: a logical fallacy. We do not condone the use of fallacies at this site. Read the rules. If that garbage was serious, we do not condone claptrap nonsense at this site. Read the rules. Either way, please desist.
 
D H said:
malawi_glenn, I think (or rather, I hope) Brantoc was just using appeal to ridicule in that post rather than posting ridiculous nonsense.


I also hope so, but it is really hard to get a felling for the tone in forums, therefore one should avoid irony etc.

Of course one should follow the experts, I would never questioning my doctor if he does things that all other doctors do - that is the point by having expertise.
 
malawi_glenn said:
they would ask one firstly to DEFINE the centre of the universe.

That I can agree with, and in fact that's what I'm doing. What I'm having trouble with is the statement "the vast majority of scientists within cosmology agree that there is centre of the universe". I don't know what you mean by that word, so I'm asking.

My understanding is that there is almost universal agreement on an "origin"... in the sense that world lines go back a finite proper time to conditions of extreme density in which classical relativistic physics breaks down and goes to a singularity. I don't think of that as a "centre", myself; and I'm wondering if you meant this, or something else?

Cheers -- sylas
 
sylas said:
That I can agree with, and in fact that's what I'm doing. What I'm having trouble with is the statement "the vast majority of scientists within cosmology agree that there is centre of the universe". I don't know what you mean by that word, so I'm asking.

My understanding is that there is almost universal agreement on an "origin"... in the sense that world lines go back a finite proper time to conditions of extreme density in which classical relativistic physics breaks down and goes to a singularity. I don't think of that as a "centre", myself; and I'm wondering if you meant this, or something else?

Cheers -- sylas

this will become off topic, there are millions of thread about this in this forum, please have a look around. I only answered since the OP made these strange claims.
 
malawi_glenn said:
this will become off topic

My thoughts exactly.

Anyway, I think this thread is done now, since the OP hasn't returned and, to be honest, the thread has degraded into nonsense (though it didn't start out too far from it), and poor attempts at irony.

If anyone has any genuine questions, feel free to start a new thread.