Life After a Terrible Test: Majoring in a Field I Don't Like

  • Thread starter Thread starter lordy12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
lordy12
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I did well on all previous tests but I did terrible on this one. I really wanted to major in computational finance, but now I'm stuck with a major I don't like. I don't know what to do. One test shouldn't determine my ultimate fate.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about it. Your undergraduate major doesn't determine your future. Look at Edward Witten. Majored in history, yet is a string theorist.
 
Last edited:
And let me tell ya, if Ed Witten can do it, then anybody can! ; )

"One test shouldn't determine my ultimate fate."

You are correct. And it won't, as long as you don't let it!
 
Life is unfair, you say?

I've often heard this sentiment expressed by students, and I think it reflects unreasonable expectations about life. Let's replace "one test" with "one event":

I don't think one event should determine the course of my life.

Bad things happen, at times, to everyone. The true test of character, the pundits say, is how one responds to setbacks. Once you get over the disappointment, I expect you will be able to identify new opportunities. Its not impossible that twenty years from now you might say "one event determined the course of my life", but be referring to something you are glad happened to you.
 
If it's just one test, even if it killed your grade in the course (so just one course might be more apt), can't you retake the course? If the major is interesting enough to you, the only way one class or exam is going to get in your way is if you let it. Especially if you're doing well in everything else, one bad grade isn't going to destroy your career goals. And, since you know you struggled with it, plan ahead to get some tutoring, or to spend a lot of time at your professor's office hours if you retake it.