I dont understand how to get velocity from (6.00i - 1.00j) ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
nukeman
Messages
651
Reaction score
0
I don't understand how to get velocity from (6.00i - 1.00j) ??

Homework Statement



Hey all, I have a problem where I am asked to find the velocity of something, but some data I am given says: "A 3.00kg object has a velocity (6.00i - 1.00j) m/s "

What is the velocity of that? I don't quite understand how to get vel from that vector.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org


You are given the two components of the vector v. Phytagoras will tell you how to find the magnitude of the velocity vector.
 


I was reading over, and it says v^2 = v * v

?

so, is it v = square root 6?
 


Wot, no notes or textbook?
Whats 6squared + 1squared?

Look up how to find the magnitude and direction of a vector, given it's xy components. Or even how to find the resultant of two vectors at right angles.
 


I think that you were reading that the dot product (or scalar product) of the two vectors [itex]\underline{v}[/itex] gives the MAGNITUDE of the vector [itex]\underline{v}[/itex].

i.e.[itex]\underline{v}[/itex].[itex]\underline{v}[/itex]=v[itex]^{2}[/itex]