1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand the notation (tensor?, not even sure)

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In order to show that if ##(\vec E (\vec x, t), \vec H (\vec x, t))## is a solution to Maxwell's equation then ##(\vec E (\vec x -\vec L, t), \vec H (\vec x-\vec L, t))## is also a solution, my professor used a proof and a step I do not understand.
    Let ##\vec x' =\vec x-\vec L##.
    At one point he wrote that since ##\frac{\partial \vec H}{\partial x^i}=\frac{\partial x^{'j}}{\partial x^i} \frac{\partial \vec H}{\partial x^{'j}} =\delta _i^j \frac{\partial \vec H}{\partial x^{'j}}=\frac{\partial \vec H}{\partial x^{'j}}## then ##\vec \nabla _{\vec x '} \times \vec H (t,\vec x ')=\vec \nabla _{\vec x} \times \vec H (t, \vec x ' (\vec x))=\vec \nabla _{\vec x} \times \vec H(t, \vec x -\vec L)=\vec \nabla \times \vec H_L (t, \vec x)##.

I don't understand anything between the 2 red words. It looks like there's a weird kronecker's delta as well as partial derivatives of the magnetic fields. But what exactly are i and j (components of the H field?), I am not sure. And what do these partial derivatives have to do with the rotor?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first equality is the chain rule in multiple dimensions: given a function ##\vec u(\vec x)##,
    $$\frac{\partial f(\vec u(\vec x))}{\partial x^i} = \sum_{j} \frac{\partial f}{\partial u^j} \frac{\partial u^j}{x^i}$$
    You can leave of the summation sign if you agree that repeated indices will be summed over.
    Then, since in this case ##u^i = x^i + \text{const.}##, the partial derivative ##\frac{\partial u^i}{\partial x^j}## will be 1 if i = j (e.g. ##u^1 = x^1 + \text{const.}## so ##\frac{\partial u^1}{\partial x^1} = 1## and ##\frac{\partial u^1}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial u^1}{\partial x^3} = 0##). Hence the Kronecker delta appearing in the second equality.
    For the final equality, I think you made a typo, and it should read ##\frac{\partial \vec H}{\partial x'^i}## with i instead of j; hopefully you see why that is (hint: in the expression with the Kronecker delta there is still summation over j but all the terms but one vanish).

The rotation is defined in terms of the components, ##\nabla_{\vec x}## is a differential operator with components like ##\frac{\partial \vec H^3}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial \vec H^2}{\partial x^3}##.
    If the vector notation confuses you, try writing it out in components. That usually requires a bit less understanding, at the expense of slightly more ink.
    What you need to do is consider ##\nabla_{\vec x'}## which has differentiation with respect to the components of x' and rewrite it to an expression with ##\nabla_{\vec x}## which has partial differentation with respect to the components of x (unprimed). The identity between the red words tells you how these are related.

4. Aug 15, 2013 #3
    That should have been ## \frac{\partial \vec H}{\partial x^{'i}}## in the end. This is nothing but the application of the chain rule and the very simple dependence between ## x ## and ## x' ##. I think that should answer the rest of your question, too.

5. Aug 15, 2013 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you guys I get it now.
    I didn't realize he used Einstein's notation so I was even confused on the dimension of the vector field H he was working on (though the curl should have indicated me 3d).
    Problem solved. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted